Double Suture Technique (DST) - Permanent?

I got double sutures on my eyelids 10 years ago--but I read everywhere that this procedure is not permanent and it has gotten me worried. Mine has been fine but I worry that it won't last forever...if it has lasted this long, what are the chances that it will remain permanent? Aside from my wanting the crease to be larger (about 10 mm instead of what it is now...), I've been ultimately happy with it.

Usually this method last as long as the sutures hold.

+2

It is possible that your sutures are still holding or you developed scaring in the eyelid tissue that has preserved the effect or the sutures.  It is unusual to want to have the crease height changed to be higher as this moves an Asian eyelid to a more Western type of upper eyelid.  This change is generally undesirable.  However, it may be that what you are describing is the desire to have more upper eyelid platform expose.  The platform show is determined by how much skin exists above the crease.  A personal assessment is needed to determine precisely what you are looking for and how to accomplish it.

Suture technique is considered permanent

+2

That is why it is the most common procedure for creating a double eyelid everywhere in Asia. Some creases can come out early or late, but the vast majority do not.Loss of the crease is a complication of both suture technique and the open technique.

Jeffrey Schiller, MD
Staten Island Oculoplastic Surgeon

Asian Blepharoplasty DST

+2

The double suture method for Asian Blepharoplasty is typically not permanent.  Generally you may see that the crease starts to gradually lower with time.  If you are happy with your eyes, there is no reason to revise it.  But, if you notice that the crease is lower than what it used to be, you might want to have your eyes redone using the incisional method.

Kimberly Lee, MD

Double suture technique

+1

Ten years would be considered a very good outcome from a suture technique. You will more likely want surgery to remove excess skin or other aging-related process than from fold failure. I would be very satisfied to have a 10year + result from DST.

Charles S. Lee, MD, FACS

Is the suture technique for double eyelid surgery permanent?

+1

The suture technique can be long lasting. For most patients, the suture stays in place creating the crease and there is some scar formation, as well. However, as a patient ages, the eyelid skin changes along with the brow and soft tissue around the orbit. Because of the changes associated with aging, namely excess tissue, the creases may not be as prominent. A secondary blepharoplasty and even brow lift may be necessary at some point.

Suzanne Kim Doud Galli, MD, PhD, FACS
Washington Facial Plastic Surgeon