Dry Swollen Nose

I had a rhinoplasty about 7-8 months ago and everything was going well up until my allergies started and my nose started to get dry from the inside. It got out of shape and started to look fat where as before the surgery made it nice and thin and looked great. I'm just worried is this due to the dryness of my nose and maybe allergies or will it stay like this? I use the neilmed saline(sinus) spray and nasonex given to me by a doctor. Please inform of what I can do to bring it down again.

Dry swollen nose

+1

It is important to make sure all allergies are under good control with prescription cortisone nasal sprays.  Nasal saline irrigations work well to humidify the nose.  A humidifier or vaporizer in the bedroom at night will also increase the relative humidity in the bedroom.  Allergy testing may be in order to identify and avoid offending allergens, which will reduce the edema around nasal tissues and stop the swelling.  

Dry swollen nose

+1

Each situation is unique and only your rhinoplasty surgeon knows the specific details of your procedure and should be the person commenting on post-operative questions such as this

Sam Naficy, MD

Dry Swollen Nose

+1

If swelling and dryness started increasing 6 months after your rhinoplasty, this is probably secondary to your allergies as you suggest. See your allergist who will evaluate your present condition with your rhinoplasty surgeon. 

Dry swollen nose.

+1

ironically , the response of the internal tissues of the nose (mucosa) to irritation, allergies or trauma is to swell. this could lead to difficulties in breathing as well as external swelling. so treat the allergies and everything should improve.  if it doesn't then you may have some scar tissue forming. see your physician for his/her opinion. good luck

Rafael C. Cabrera, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Allergies after Rhinoplasty

+1

Since your allergies are causing this temporary swelling, after your Rhinoplasty, it sounds reasonable for you to see an allergist for allergy treatment that can be coordinated with your Rhinoplasty surgeon.

Dry Swollen Nose

+1

This could all be related to allergies at this time frame especially if the first few months you noted a more slender and refined nose.  Using both the Neil-med sinus rinse and Nasonex are reasonable.  The other option to consider is place a little bit of Aquaphor ointment on a q-tip and place a small amount in both nostrils twice daily.  This will help maximally hydrate your nose and provide you comfort for the dryness internally.  The final result of your rhinoplasty is still 4 months away so continue to be patient and revisit with your surgeon at that time to discuss your ultimate results.  Good luck!  Dr. Shep

Shepherd G. Pryor, MD
Scottsdale Facial Plastic Surgeon