Dry Nostrils and Burning After Rhinoplasty

I had rhinoplasty, septoplasty, and turbinate reduction one month ago. I didn't have any problems during recovery. Now, however, I can still see clear stitches in the wall of my nasal cavity that look like they're going up my nose- are those permanent? My nostrils are dry and one side burns when I breathe in. How far should I put the q-tip in my nose when cleaning it, as I still don't blow my nose since it's sensitive. Thank you.

Nasal surgery recovery

+2

Hi 0210anon in meanjina-

You need to contact your surgeon to see if permanent sutures were used. Don't put Q-tips up your nose. Try a salt water nose spray and an ointment like Bacitracin to soften any crusting. Spraying your nose 6 times a day will be helpful In most cases it is okay to blow the nose after one month, but check with your surgeon.

Sincerely

Tom Kaniff

Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

You should see your Rhinoplasty Surgeon about persistent stitches in your nose 1 month after Rhinoplasty Surgery.

+1

I read your concern. In my practice, I use chromic sutures in the nose which dissolve in 2-3 weeks. If you're seeing suture material in your nose, you should bring this concern to the attention of your surgeon. Lubricating nasal-saline gel is helpful for dryness in your nose. You can go into your nostril to the end of the cotton tip of a Q-Tip when applying nasal-saline gel.

I hope this is helpful for you.

Regards from NJ:

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty post-op issues

+1

Certainly at a month, yuo should be pretty much healed although you will have swelling,. If you have burning and notice some sutures, you may want to be seen by your surgeon to make sure everything is healing ok.

Nasal dryness

+1

By the time ( 4 weeks) you should be able to blow your nose without problems.
Maybe crusting are trapped in the suture. Q- tip isn´t recommended. It´s better you visit your sugeon.

Surely he will be able to clarify your doubts, particularly regarding the type of suture used.

Best luck
Cynthia Nicolau

Cynthia Nicolau, MD
Brazil Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal dryness after rhinoplasty

+1

As your nose is recovering, saline spray will solve the dryness and a cold air humidifier at night will help as well. We often recommend Ayr nasal saline spray, and it also comes as a gel which you can use throughout the day. After one month it is safe to blow, though the q-tip is not a good idea.

peterejohnsonmd

Dry Nostrils after Rhinoplasty

+1

The stitches you see will dissolve. Do not put Q-TIPS in your nose - they're probably irritating the nasal lining. Saline nasal spray will be helpful. Last, but not least,  see your surgeon. 

Dry Nostrils and Crusts After Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi M,

Best to visit your rhinoplasty surgeon for an exam and evaluation of your concerns.  I have my patients use Alkalol/Nasal Saline rinses.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

+1

As a general rule ,post operatjve management should be directed and handled by your surgeon.

Please contact him and he should be able to answer your questions.

Erel Laufer, MD