Can I Use Dry Eye Ointment at Night with Latisse

My eyes have always been very dry. To avoid corneal abrasions, I am now using PM eye ointment in my eyes overnight. I also use Latisse. Can I use the two together and in what order, or use Latisse in the AM before mascara? My lashes have really grown, but I need night time lubrication for my eyes,

Using Latisse with other products

+2

You have two simple options... if you choose to apply Latisse at bedtime- remove all your eye makeup and make sure the area is clean and dry.  Apply the Latisse to the lash line.  Let it dry for about 5 minutes and then put the ointment in your eyes.  Option 2: Apply the Latisse in the morning, before any makeup.  Again, let it dry for about 5 minutes and then put your makeup on.

Soon you'll have beautiful long lashes and no dry eyes.

Good luck!

Dr. Grant Stevens     

Latisse

+2
Latisse for longer eyelashes can be used morning or evening. If you use dry eye ointment at night, try using Latisse in the morning.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Latisse and Dry Eyes

+2

Yes, you can use a lubricating ointment at night after applying Latisse.  I recommend you wait approximately 5 minutes after applying Latisse to your upper lids, before gently pulling down your lower lid and squeezing a thin strip of lubricating ointment into the cul-de-sac of the lower lid.  Dry eyes are more common as we get older and can be mildly exacerbated by Latisse or other medicated drops, so a good preservative-free artificial tear or ointment will keep you more comfortable in the long run.

Michelle Crosby, MD, PhD
Encinitas Ophthalmologist

Latisse and Dry Eyes

+2

It's best to continue using Latisse at night. Apply it first then, after the Latisse is dry, carefully use the ophthalmic ointment as sparingly as possible. The combination should be perfectly safe to use.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Dry eye ointment and Latisse

+2

There should be no problem using both as long as the Latisse is dry before you apply the ointment, and the ointment is applied so that it doesn't touch the area where Latisse has been applied.  You want to avoid Latisse getting wet and spreading to other areas.

Just as an aside, has your dry eye condition been worked up?  There are medications that would help treat it if it is caused by inflammation of the lacrimal glands (tear glands). Talk to your ophthalmologist.

Emily Altman, MD
Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Latisse and eye ointment

+2

If you have dry eyes, they may feel a little dryer when you are on Latisse.  Latisse can make anything irritated in the area a little more irritated.  Assuming that you are able to keep the dry eye symptoms under control, it is fine to continue using Latisse.

I would suggest using the Latisse first.  Wait 10 minutes to be sure that it has dried.  Then put the lubricant ointment in your eye.  There should be no problem.

Marc Cohen, MD
Philadelphia Oculoplastic Surgeon

+2

That is a great question and I am not sure there is an answer. Theoretically any Latisse on the eyelid applied before are after the ointment could leech into the ointment and into the eye. In these small quantities most likely it would not have any effect but it would be increased over baseline. Alternatively, one could say that the ointment is protective if applied first. This is a mental exercise and I don't have a definitive answer.

Latisse and eye ointment

+1
I would suggest that you use the Latisse in the evening. After you have washed your face and taken your make-up off I would apply the Latisse and then after waiting five minutes you may apply the eye ointment prior to bed. I am happy you enjoy the prodiuct my patients have been thrilled with the results as well.

Michael Elam, MD

Latisse and Night time lubrication

+1

It is best to use the Latisse first and then, apply the night time ointment once dry, a few minutes later.  You may also use the ointment and then, apply the Latisse to the eyelids although with this method, it will be harder to see to apply the Latisse properly to the upper eyelid.

Sandy Feldman, MD
San Diego Ophthalmologist