Dry Eye After Surgery?

I am almost one year post- upper and lower blepharoplasty and have had to go on restasis for addy eye issue I never had prior to surgery. Restasis isn't really helping. Is dry eye nor al after this type of surgery?

Dry eye syndrome is often aggravated after blepharoplasty but usually self-limited.

+1

I discourage most patients with dry eye syndrome from elective cosmetic lower lid surgery because they often suffer for extended periods of time after the operation. Fortunately, even though it takes a while, the symptoms usually resolve. I find the ophthalmologist to be very useful.

Dry eyes after blepharoplasty

+1

In many cases, one of the goals of blepharoplasty surgery is to make the eyes more open. More open eyes are more exposed to the outside air, which can sometimes worsen problems with dry eyes. This change is usually temporary - as the body gets used to the eyes being more open, most patients notice a return to normal. Dry eyes are often worse in the winter, when we are exposed to dry heat without much moisture in the air.

If you feel your eyes are still dry, I would recommend using preservative-free artificial tears every 1-2 hours for at least a full week. If the drops work, you can cut back on the frequency until you find a minimal level that works for you.

The key to treating dry eye is not to get to the point where your eyes are really irritated. Once your eyes feel crummy, it is often hard to catch up and make them feel comfortable again. Try to use the lubricant eye drops regularly to preempt problems with dryness. See an ophthalmologist for a complete eye exam to see if anything else can be done. Hope this helps.

Mitesh Kapadia, MD, PhD
Boston Oculoplastic Surgeon

Dry Eye

+1

Dry Eye is very complex and can be issues with lacrimal, meibomian glands or mucin in the eyelid and eye area.   Restasis doesn't always help but can be beneficial in some cases.    Punctal plugs temporarily can be used if the surgery is still in the healing phases...Thanks  Dr. Boxrud    

Cynthia Boxrud, MD
Santa Monica Oculoplastic Surgeon