Dry and Swollen Nose 3 Mos. After Rhinoplasty? (photo)

During the day, I am always sniffling. At night, I can barely breathe unless I moisten my nose with Ayr spray. I mouth breathe, snore and most nights it has that distinct whistling sound. Before the surgery, my nose was perfectly functional. My surgeon prescribed me a steroid spray and told me the surgery went well but I haven't seen him since the 2 week postop because I moved away. I'm afraid there's a tear or something in my nose and I might need extra surgery. What do I do?

Dry and swollen nose 3 months after rhinoplasty

+1

An examination would be necessary to provide you with any advice. I would first recommend contacting your surgeon. If it is not possible to see your surgeon, I would recommend consulting with a board certified specialist in your area. They will be able to look at your nose and help determine the cause of your issue. I hope this helps, and best of luck to you.

Dry and Swollen Nose 3 Mos. After Rhinoplasty?

+1

You should be examined by your surgeon to help evaluate your concerns.                                                                                                                            Kenneth Hughes, MD                                                                                                                                        Los Angeles, CA

Nasal dysfunction after rhinoplasty

+1

The first step is to contact your surgeon and either arrange to have an examination or have him refer you to a physician where you now live to perform one.  It is likely that the problem is post operative swelling but physical obstruction from internal nasal structures or crusting needs to be ruled out.

Mark Beaty, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal obstruction after rhinoplasty

+1

Your first step is to consult with your surgeon. Congestion and swelling at three months is quite common and usually resolves, but you have already paid for follow up visits as part of your procedure and should take advantage of that. If he cannot diagnose you over the phone, he may suggest consulting with a local ear nose and throat doctor. Good Luck!

Roy A. David, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal Airway Problems After Rhinoplasty

+1

Without an examination, it is impossible to diagnose your problem.  You may have swelling inside the nose.  You mentioned you moved after your surgery.  Contact your Plastic Surgeon for a referral to a Plastic Surgeon in your area for follow up.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Nasal airway problems after a rhinoplasty

+1

Almost impossible to diagnose your problem without an examination.  Your sniffling and drainage could  be due to rhinitis.  There are several causes of this and an internal examination of your nose is needed.  A whistling sound could indicate a septal perforation but again this would require an internal nasal examination.  Is is also possible that all of your problems are due to swelling and the steroids may be beneficial.  

Dry nose or blocked nose: is it a dryness problem or an obstruction issue?

+1

Breathing problems after nasal surgery can be from a variety of issues. Often the nose is dry after surgery, as the mucous glands don't seem to make as much mucous initially. However, the blockage or obstruction you experience could also be a result of nasal/nostril collapse. During surgery, if the nasal tip was altered, it may have an effect on the amount on interior nostril space. Hopefully since your breathing improves with humidification, there isn't a structural issue. However, I would recommend seeing a facial plastic surgeon experience in aesthetic as well as functional rhinoplasty.

C.W. David Chang, MD
Columbia Facial Plastic Surgeon