What Can I Do About Drooping Upper Eyelids? (photo)

What Can I Do About Drooping Upper Eyelids?

Doctor Answers 17

Blepharoplasty can treat droopy upper eyelids

An upper blepharoplasty is performed to remove excess skin from the upper lids.  In addition, the puffiness on the upper lids is caused by herniated fat pads, which are removed at the same time to give more of an aesthetic contour to the upper lid area.  This makes patients look more well rested.

Seattle Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 60 reviews

Have a question? Ask a doctor

Droopy Upper Lids

It appears that you have a combination of upper eyelid ptosis (drooping lids) and dermatochalasis (extra eyelid skin).  First, you should have the ptosis repaired and then have the excessive skin removed.

Jacob Freiman, MD, FACS
Miami Beach Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 147 reviews

Upper eyelid surgery

It would appear that you have ptosis of the upper eyelids, and this certainly can  be fixed.  The type of repair that is offered for this is different than the traditional upper eyelid blepharoplasty procedure.  A Plastic Surgeon who you may consult with should be able to give you proper advice about this.


Good luck to you.


Frank Rieger M.D.  Tampa  Plastic Surgeon

Blepharoplasty Candidate?

Thank you for the question and picture.

Based on your picture I think you will be a good candidate for upper blepharoplasty surgery. In person consultation with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon will be helpful.

Best wishes.

Upper eyelid issues

An exam is key to figure out what is wrong but from the photos you may benefits from upper eyel id blepahroplasty  As for ptosis that would have to be assessed by exam.

Steven Wallach, MD
Manhattan Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 18 reviews

You would benefit from upper eyelid blepharoplasty and fat pad remove.

I believe you would be a good candidate of removal of excess skin and fat from your upper eyelids.  I would recommend that you see consultation with an experienced and well respected eyelid surgeon in you city.  Ask to see lots of before and after photos of people who look just like you.

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon
4.0 out of 5 stars 11 reviews


From the photo an upper eyelid surgery would be recommended to remove the excess skin and fat of the upper eyelids.  

Francis R. Palmer, III, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 12 reviews

Drooping Eyelids

Based on the photo, you may have upper eyelid ptosis and some excess skin that is contributing to it. Surgery is likely to help. See a Board Certified plastic surgeon, facial plastic surgeon or occuloplastic surgeon. If your vision is impaired by your droopy eyelids, a visual fields test may be done and perhaps insurance will cover part of the surgery. The surgeon may also offer a recommendation on your brow position.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS
Chicago Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

Blepharoptosis - drooping upper eyelids

Your posted photo shows your eyebrows elevated way above the rim of the bone around the eye. It is highly likely that this is a compensatory action to drooping upper eyelids. You need a face to face examination to determine how much mobility you have in that upper eyelid. The degree of mobility i.e. eyelid elevating muscle function you have governs the type of surgical procedure required. Although excess upper eyelid skin may be a contributing factor it is likely not the main factor. In order to get health insurance coverage for the procedure you will need a face to face physical examination documenting the findings, a photo submitted to your health insurance and possibly a visual field test documenting obstruction of the upper visual field.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon

Wow, I have do disagree about having standard eyelid surgery.


I think you have it more accurately than many of the experts here.  The position of your eyebrows shows how much you are compensating to lift your heavy upper eyelids.  You have true upper eyelid ptosis.  Standard blepharoplasty will simple expose a very long and heavy upper eyelid.  You need to be carefully assessed by an oculoplastic surgeon who will be able to determine the best surgical approach to address your upper eyelid ptosis, the compensatory eyebrow elevation, and the excess upper eyelid skin.  The American Society for Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery maintains a regional directory that can help you find a very well qualified oculoplastic surgeon in your area (asoprs dot org).

Kenneth D. Steinsapir, MD
Los Angeles Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 19 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.