Doctors Disagree on Results, Who Dropped the Ball?

I had transconjunctival lower blepharoplasty done by an Opthalmic PS and fat transfer by my PS in same office. My PS insists I should have had skin removal under my eyes, as that is what he wanted the Opthalmic PS to do. They shared an office and a procedure room. I was aware that I was having only transjunctival bleph and thought they were in agreement on this. Who dropped the ball?

What is the problem with result?

+2

Please send pictures to give you better answer. You may require skin excision after fat removal . The main question is what is the issue with result?

New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Plastic surgery of the face is an art supported by some science. Multiple approaches to tackling an issue are often "right."

+1

Plastic surgery of the face is an art supported by science. Multiple approaches to tackling an issue are often right. It is highly unlikely that either of your surgeons was "wrong." It is unfortunate that there seems to be some blame being passed around. The most important question is what would make you happy. If you're happy with the results other than some excess skin, this can be trimmed away with surgery or treated with a laser to "tighten" and rejuvenate that area. Please provide photos if you have a chance. I would approach your concerns from a problem solving standpoint rather than trying to find out who made a mistake as your surgeons likely have a mere difference of opinion rather than a right vs. wrong answer.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Blepharoplasty disagreement

+1

You may want to know "who was right", but the real question is, are you happy with the results?  There are many ways to approach surgery, and more often than not there is no single correct answer.  Sometimes the more conservative/safer approach is best, and it's hard to know what your surgeon saw or decided in the operating room when he or she was actually performing the procedure. 

Michelle Spring, MD

Doctors disagree about blepharoplasty

+1

As you can see from this site, doctors disagree about the 'best' solutions in cosmetic surgery. Just because doctors share an office does not mean that they share ideas about the best approach to use with each patient. Communicating is the key, and ultimately you must choose which doctor and plan is right for you.

peterejohnsonmd

Dropped ball

+1

I don't think anybody dropped the ball. There was clearly a lack of communication between all three of you and a difference of opinion between the doctors. Your opthalmic surgeon may have felt at the time of surgery that the risk of ectropion weas too great to remove skin. Better safe than sorry

David A. Bray, Sr., MD

+1

This is a very interesting question...but without photos any answer would be mere speculation.

Shepherd G. Pryor, MD
Scottsdale Facial Plastic Surgeon