Droopy Lower Eyelids After Second Blepharoplasty?

I am male, 54.I had a lower blepharoplasty when I was 30 for hereditary eye bags. I had a second operation for the same thing 8 weeks ago. The surgeon repositioned the fat, not removing it, and he did not remove any excess skin, due to having a previous operation. Yet 8 weeks after the operation I have droopy lower eyelids. One is much worse than the other, with sclera showing. What could be the cause of this, and what can be done? Thank you.

Lower eyelid retraction

+1

One of the risks of lower eyelid blepharoplasty is eyelid retraction and scleral show. Your doctor has minimized these risks by using a transconjunctival approach. Eight weeks is certainly still early, but some interventions might be appropriate to help the situation along: massage or possible steroid/5FU injection to help soften scarring, which is the culprit here.

I would discuss these with your surgeon, and if not satisfied, consider a second opinion.

If you decide to explore this further, I would recommend consultation with an ASOPRS trained Oculoplastics surgeon. You can find one close to you on the ASOPRS dot org website

Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Droopy lower eyelid

+1

Thank you for your question. I think you have to give it more time. Messaging help. Communicate with your surgeon about your concerns. Most likely it will resolve.

Moneer Jaibaji, MD

Surgery 8 weeks ago.

+1

This result may improve but it is likely that much of what you are seeing will persist.  I agree that despite conservative efforts, unexpected scaring can occur to cause unwanted changes in the lower eyelid position.  I would recommend discussing the situation with your surgeon as there are mechanical and treatment interventions that can be performed at this point.  I would start there before seeking second opinions.

Droopy lower lids

+1

the cause of this may be from contraction of the septum or inadvertent tension on this during the repositioning.  Eight weeks is not a permanent result, and everything may heal up just fine.  Be patient and work with your doctor.  If necessary, seek out a second opinion from the ASOPRS directory.

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon