Droopy Left Eyelid in 16 Year Old Male?

Im a 16 year old male and just recently noticed I had a slightly droopy left eyelid. Around March I noticed it and thought I did not get enough sleep but since a month ago I have been getting 8+ hours of sleep and still have the problem. I can feel my left eyelid muscle is a bit weaker. I never had this before as I looked at my old photos and could not see it. Even last year it was fine. I really need to know whats wrong and how to fix it. Thanks.

Eyelid Ptosis

+1

In general, if you have asymmetry or drooping of one eyelid, one should make sure you don’t have any medial problems like myasthenia gravis then this can be corrected as an outpatient procedure under IV sedation using a levator advancement correction technique to get you the symmetry that you like.

Eyelid ptosis

+1

There are a variety causes of eyelid ptosis (droopy upper eyelid), including congenital, neurologic, age-related, trauma, etc.  It can usually be surgically corrected.  You should obtain an oculoplastic exam by an oculoplastic surgeon.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Droopy Eyelids in Young Patients: What is the Cause?

+1

For young people, a droopy eyelid usually means that the Levator muscle or tendon is weakened.   The Levator muscle is one of the important upper eyelid opening muscles.  When either the muscle or its tendon, (also knows as the aponeurosis), is weak, the upper eyelid does not open fully and looks droopy.

For older patients, the droopy look is often extra skin and fat which accumulates with age.  The Levator may also be a problem, making the eyelid area look even worse.

A careful eyelid examination by a plastic surgeon and an eye examination by an opthamologist is in order if you are young and notice these problems.

Stephen Bresnick, MD

Probably Levator Ptosis

+1

Without photos it is hard to say.  But your description sound like levator ptosis.  This is the result of a stretched attachment between the muscle that opens your eye and the eyelid itself.  This condition can occur with age or it can happen in younger people, probably because of a congenital weakness.  Also contact lens users have this more often, probably as a result of pulling on the eyelid frequently.

Louis W. Apostolakis, MD
Austin Facial Plastic Surgeon