Can Droopy Eyelids Affect Vision?

Can excess skin on your eyelids have an effect on your vision? I am a 56 year old who is an avid reader and lately I can't read for long because my vision blurs so badly. If I put my fingers on my eyelid it seems to help. I have been to 4 eye doctors but have not mentioned my eyelids.

Visual impairment due to droopy eyelids

+1

Indeed excess skin in the upper lids can occur whereby it folds over upon itself and creates weight on the upper lids and eyelashes. This is a medical condition called dermatochalasis. If there is a significant amount of visual field obstruction due to this (usually over 30%) then it becomes a medical condition, which may be submitted to insurance. The excess skin can certainly affect upper visual fields on the lateral gaze.

Web reference: http://www.seattlefacial.com

Upper eyelid skin can block vision

+1

It is possible for loose skin in the upper eyelid to block your vision.  This doesn't occur with the lower eyelid.  It is also possible that your upper eyelid muscle is not functioning properly leading to drooping of your upper eyelid.  This could also affect vision.  An eye doctor can examine you and give you a formal answer to your question.  You can also look at yourself in the mirror.  You may see the loose skin of the upper eyelid hanging over your eyelashes, especially toward the outside of your eyes.  If the muscle is not lifting your eyelid properly, you may see that your upper eyelid is drooping, giving you a tired look.  One eyelid may be lower than the other.  The next time you see your eye doctor, ask them directly, even if they don't mention it.  Good luck!

Dr. Parham Ganchi - NJ Plastic Surgeon - www.ganchi.com

Wayne Plastic Surgeon

Sagging Upper lids CAN affect visibility in the upper visual fields

+1

Sagging upper lids can come low enough to interfere with vision in the upper visual fields not the lower visual fields associated with reading. There are formal tests that can be done to quantitative your visual fields and the impact your upper lids on them. These tests are usually done by optometrists. If positive, SOME insurance companies may pay for the proper operation to correct this process (upper Blepharoplasty or ptosis repair).

Droopy eyelids

+1

The excess skin in the upper eyelid can be enough to cause visually significant problems.  The eyelid itself may also be lower secondary to age-related weaking of the eye-opening muscle.  So the answer to your questions is YES.

Dr T.

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Possibly

+1

If the lids are drooping they can obstruct vision.  It may be possible I would suppose that there may be some physics that could affect your vision. In any case, you may benefit from a brow lift.

Droopy eyelids and vision

+1

Droopy eyelids generally can cause obstruction to vision particularly in the upper-outward visual fields if severe. You should have an examination with an optometrist or ophthalmologist.

Droopy eyes can affect vision

+1

Droopy eyes can affect vision and this is called Ptosis. If your droopy lids affect your vision, lifting the lids surgically may be covered by medical insurance.

New York Oculoplastic Surgeon