Can Droopy Eyelid Caused by Nerve Injury Recover by Itself?

Recently, I have droopy eyelid on my right eye and the last thing I did was getting my tooth pulled out so I guess there must be something went wrong with the nerve. Anyway, my eyes have become asymmetrical. I wonder if I have to undergo an surgery or are there any options better than surgery? Is there any possibility that it will recover by itself. I am very stressed out because it does effect my job as I work in a fashion field.

Eyelid

+1

It sounds like you had a bells palsy. This is coincidental in relation to the dental work. It can take up to 6 months for a bells palsy to recover and in 15% of patients they do not recover well. See a neuroophthalmologist for this.

Washington DC Oculoplastic Surgeon

Treatment for droopy eyelid depends on cause

+1

A droopy eyelid can be caused by various reasons including nerve injury. Oral surgery typically does not make an eyelid droopy. See a physician to rule out medical conditions that may be the cause of your eyelid droop. Addressing this may minimize the asymmetry. Other than that, blepharoplasty surgery is likely to be the best option for a droopy eyelid.

Droopy eyelid, cause and effect

+1

I find it hard to believe that your droopy eyelid is in any way related to your recent dental work.

My suggestion is that you see a physician to further diagnose your situation and recommend treatment if necessary.

Darrick E. Antell, MD

See a doctor for droopy eyelid and nerve damage

+1

Elizabethlee,

I recommend that you get to a doctor for an examination.  There is no reason that you should have a droopy eyelid from a tooth extraction.  You may have some other underlying condition that coincidentally surfaced at the same time as your tooth problem.  Good luck!

Kenneth R. Francis, MD

Droopy eyelids after other surgeries or injuries can improve

+1

Droopy eyelids after other surgeries or injuries can improve. It all depends on the  patients individual condition.

That being stated, many months to a year of observation and measurement before having any surgery would be advised.

J. Timothy Heffernan, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Eyelid weakness secondary to dental injury

+1

The oculomotor nerve and sympathetic nervous system both provide innervation to the eye that keeps the eyelid open. Therefor any injury to these nerves can result in eyelid droopiness. It is possible that nerve blocks may have induced the observed nerve injury. I dont' quite understand the timing of the injury and this is an important aspect of providing you with advice. In any event it is likeley that the injury will resolve over time.