Droopy Eyelid From Recent Nerve Damage, What Are My Options?

Sometime in April, I got punched in the head while I was on a swing. It hurt, and even my jaw was really sore a few days after, but I didn't think much of it. Then in early May, I noticed that my left eyelid was drooping because one of my eyes looked smaller than the other. I went to my doctor and he said it was nerve damage. And then I recently went to an opthamologist. And I just got two types of eyedrops. They haven't helped though. 

Post-traumatic eyelid ptosis

+1

It is very possible that you have a separation of the levator muscle from the eyelid cartilage as a result of the blunt trauma to your head and face especially if you have no other neurological signs or symptoms. Your ophthalmologist should be able to make a diagnosis aided by the lack of effect from the eyedrops.

Robin T.W. Yuan, M.D.

A good oculoplastic surgeon or neurologist can do this work up.

+1

One has to determine the basis for the ptosis.  Is it mechanical or neurological.  If it is neurological, are there any other cranial neuropathies associated with the upper eyelid ptosis such a pupillary abnormalities.  Assuming the the issue is mechanical and after a through work up that is likely to include and MRI of the brainstem, I would recommend waiting a full year before correcting the ptosis.  The reason being is that over time there can be a bit more improvement in the eyelid position.  It would be a shame to have unnecessary eyelid surgery simply because one was not willing to wait.

Droopy eyelid

+1

I think you need a little further evaluation to determine the cause before going ahead with treatment. Droopy eyelid can be repaired but you should be certain there is not some more central nerve issue happening.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon