Droopy Lower Eyelid After Lower Eyelid Surgery

I just had my lower eyelid surgery for about 4 weeks already. My doctor says that my lower eyelid will go back to its position after it heals. I hope this will be true. Please help me what will going to happen with this kind of appearance of my eye. Do i need another surgery??

You can get droopy eyelids after lower eyelid surgery

+1

You can get droopy eyelids after lower eyelid surgery which may require further correction. It’s important to go to someone who’s really experienced with treating eyelids especially for procedures that are not primary because re-dos can be more difficult than primary surgeries.

New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Massage will help

+1

Your degree of scleral show is not too severe and often  this will resolve with regular upward massage of the lid several times daily for 3 to 5 minutes. As lid tone improves so will the lid position in most all cases. You do not have ectropion (lid margin everted) and do not need revision surgery at this point. Stay with your surgeon until this is resolved, or seek a second opinion from a qualified facial plastic surgeon or oculoplastic surgeon if it will ease your mind. Good luck.

Harrison C. Putman III, MD
Peoria Facial Plastic Surgeon

Scleral show

+1

I agree with what has been posted here. It is too early still to think that this is a final result. At 4 weeks out I think that it looks well. The muscle could be denervated temporarily and cause this show. Massage and time should help this. Hope it all goes well.

Gustavo A. Diaz, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lower LId Malposition can be temporary

+1

Frequently when performing the transcutaneous blepharoplasty the orbicularis muscle is denervated and lid tone is diminished.  As the tone of the muscle returns the lid position should as well.  Lower blepharoplasty takes one year to fully mature into post operative results.

Richard Gentile, MD
Youngstown Facial Plastic Surgeon

Droopy lower eyelid

+1

You have some scleral show -- white between the colored part of the eye and the edge of the lower eyelid. This can occur for a variety of reasons. Prominent eyes (which can be related to thyroid eye disease) are a very important consideration with or without prior surgery. In addition to the other recommendations, I would consider having exophthalmometry (by an ophthalmologist or oculoplastic surgeon), which measures the amount of eye prominence. Depending on the findings, there are different strategies.

Jeremiah P. Tao, MD
Irvine Oculoplastic Surgeon

Droopy lower eyelid after surgery

+1

Cosmetic lower eyelid surgery is extremely effective in correcting bagginess, excess skin and wrinkling of the lower eyelids. Your picture displays incisions underneath the eyelashes that were placed to remove the excess skin.  After 4 weeks, the orbicularis muscle (muscle surrounding the eyelids responsible for closing the eyes) can still not function completely, as well as early scarring within the eyelid.  Gentle circular massage in an upward fashion to "stretch" the eyelid will help to break-up some of the scarring within the eyelid.  Be patient, you might not see your optimal results for two to six months after the procedure.  

Boaz J. Lissauer, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Droopy lower eyelid after lower Blepharoplasty

+1

The droop you have, if it occurs, after lower blepharoplasty usually resolves by 4 weeks, but, occasionally may take longer. At this point yop are battling scar. You should, therefore, be massaging the lids gently with an upward motion trying to stretch the scar pulling downward. This will frequently help resolve the problem. I would not consider another surgery for at least 6 months to a year.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Scleral show

+1

In doing a lower lid blepharoplasty I check for tone of the lower lid preoperatively. If it is weak, I will perform a canthopexy.  In your case, and I am not sure what was done, you probably should massage the lower lids up to soften the scar tissue.