Droopy Eye After Botox

I had Botox done last week, which resulted to a droopy eye. I went to the second doctor who injected more Botox to fix it. However, it seemed like it got worse. Now I have a droopy eyebrow and the Alphagan is not doing much. What can I do? How long will this last?

Ptosis can Occur after BOTOX Treatments

+1

All botulinum neuromodulators (BOTOX, DYSPORT, and XEOMIN) can cause eyelid drooping after treatment.  In clinical trials available in the package insert:  The incidence of eyelid drooping with BOTOX was 3%, with DYSPORT was 6%, and with XEOMIN was 19%(although with XEOMIN, placebo drooping was 9%).  So all of these drugs can cause eyelid drooping as a side effect of treatment.  

More skilled and experienced injectors will have this complication occur much less frequently, but all experienced injectors have seen ptosis side effects. 

Certain patients may have a pre-existing mild droop or ptosis of the eyelid, and even small doses of botulinum product may worsen this droop. Also, the drug may migrate to the lid after injection and cause drooping, or it may weaken accessory muscles that help mask the minimally droopy eyelid before treatment.  Certain eyedrops will help ptosis or drooping of the eyelid. In addition, very experienced injectors can administor small amounts of BOTOX into the medial and lateral eyelid lifters to increase central lifting, and thereby improve eyelid drooping.

Marin Plastic Surgeon

Droopy Eyes After Botox

+1
Droopy eyes are a common side effect of Botox. These symptoms can happen hours to weeks after you receive an injection. They will go away after no more than a few weeks. Best of luck.

Daniel Shapiro, MD

Droopy eyebrow

+1

Alphagen only works for ptosis of the eyelid when botox accidentally affects the levator system.. The drooping you have is the over injected brow which will take 3-4 months to correct.

Options for Droopy Eyelid after Botox

+1

As the other panel members idicated, the passage of time is the best remedy.  Most agree that this problem will generally improve or resolve over the course of 2 to 4 weeks.  Regardless of the MD or RN behind one's name, it's the training and technique that will lead to best outcomes.  As previously stated, this may happen even with the best practitioners. 

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

I am afraid you have to be patient!

+1

To Ana vickie,

Hi. This is the most common Botox complication and it is caused by injecting too low in the eyebrow. I am not sure what the second doctor did. But that's water under the bridge.

You are doing the conservative thing. So it's a matter of time. You will look a little better in one month and probably normal in 3 months.

It always goes away! Sorry there is no better answer.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

It usually starts to get better in 4 weeks

+1

Hello Ana

Depending on the severity of the lid drop, it can start to get better anywhere from 2 to 4 weeks after you notice the droop. Iopdinine drops can sometimes help a little, but we have found that, unfortunately, time is your best ally.

It is helpful to review your dosage and injection sites with your doctor so that this does not happen again. I think most physicians who have done enough Botox (in the thousands of injections) will very rarely cause a lid droop, but it happens to all practitioners if they have done it long enough.

Hang in there.

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon