Drooping Tip when I Smile

It seems when i smile from the side view my tip seems to slighty go down and on the bridge closest to my tip seems to curve. I do feel fine with my nose shape when i do not smile. I want to avoid changing the shape of my nose with a rhinoplasty and was wondering if cutting the septi muscle would do the trick. It seems that when i contract the upper muscles of my forehead they seem to pull my nose to just the way i like it.

Correcting Nasal Tip Droop when Smiling

+2

Regarding: "Drooping Tip when I Smile
It seems when i smile from the side view my tip seems to slighty go down and on the bridge closest to my tip seems to curve. I do feel fine with my nose shape when i do not smile. I want to avoid changing the shape of my nose with a rhinoplasty and was wondering if cutting the septi muscle would do the trick. It seems that when i contract the upper muscles of my forehead they seem to pull my nose to just the way i like it
."

Wow!! You must have done your research. There is a tiny muscle between the septum and the lip called the Depressor Septi nasii which when we smile and it contracts it literally pulls the nose inferiorly and the mid lip superiorly. This muscle can be detached from the nose through and upper lip incision without having to undergo a rhinoplasty.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Drooping nasal tip upon smiling can be prevented

+1

Cutting the depressor septi muscle would prevent the tip of the nose from pulling down when the patient smiles. This could be done as a stand-alone operation under local anesthesia without changing the shape of the nose whatsoever.  

Drooping nasal tip

+1

You have posted an excellent question.Drooping nasal tip is a term used to describe downward movement of the nasal tip with smiling. More severe forms of this include shortening of the upper lip with the appearance of a horizontal crease and elevation of the outer lower edge of the nostril in the same motion.

This appearance is created by the actions of the levator labii superioris alaeque nasi and depressor septi nasi muscles.The treatment is to prevent the actions of the muscles. This is achieved by cutting the depressor septi nasi via an incision in the floor of the nose or the inside of the lip and transecting the outer portion of the tip cartilage with a portion of levator labii superioris alaeque nasi so that it can no longer raise the outer lower edge of the nostril.

Aaron Stone, MD