Do I Have a Drooping Tip / Columella?

I had a septo/rhinoplasty about 8 weeks ago. I have thick oily skin so I think there is still quite a bit of swelling. My concern is that the tip appears to be drooping and the columella seems to be hanging to low. I am currently out of the country so I can't see my surgeon until I get back in April. Is it possible that my concerns are just do to swelling? thanks

Drooping Tip/Columella

+2

Swelling at 8 weeks will distort appreciation of the final result. Wait to see your surgeon in April. You would not change anything at this time even if he/she was available.

Rhinoplasty Healing Is An Evolving Process

+2

While it is still early as rhinoplasty healing goes, one does get a hint as to the shape of the nose that is evolving after several months. It does appear that you do have some tip ptosis and a hanging columella but that may get better to some degree in the next 6 months. What you don't  want to do in consideration of revisional surgery is chase a 'moving target'. Give the nose a full 6 months after surgery and then go back and talk to your plastic surgeon. Make a mental note if the nose has changed from now until this appointment as that will be very useful information your plastic surgeon will want to know.

Web reference: http://www.eppleyrhinoplasty.com/

Tip Ptosis Post Rhinoplasty

+1

Based on your photo it does appear that your tip is tilted downward. I think your columella on this view looks fairly normal. Don't worry about it too much at this point. This may resolve once your swelling settles. Regardless speak your surgeon and arrange a follow up. If you do require a small revision it is not recomended until a year has passed.

Vancouver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Drooping nasal tip.

+1

Although it is an angled view of your nose ,it appears that you have tip ptosis but not hanging columella.

Give a few months for the swelling to improve and then approach your surgeon.

Postoperative tip ptosis after rhinoplasty

+1

At this time, it is still too early to tell if your tip has dropped any. It is likely during the healing process there will be some dropping of the tip when the swelling settles, it may also go up some as the swelling goes down as well. Over the next several months you should have a better idea of the tip position.

Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty 8 weeks out

+1

8 weeks is too soon to tell what your final nasal shape will be.  It will take a few months before you will see the final result, so I would advise you to be patient. Regardless, you would not be a candidate for revision until about 1 year after your surgery.  You should definitely talk to your rhinoplasty surgeon when you are able to see him/her. I'm sure he or she will be happy to discuss with you any questions you may have.

Dr. Cat Begovic M.D.

Web reference: http://www.makeyouperfect.com

Drooping tip and columella 8 weeks after rhinoplasty.

+1

Drooping tip and columella 8 weeks after rhinoplasty is likely. There is nothing to do now and it may be fine in 6-12 months when the swelling is gone.

Patience is it's Own Reward (Even with Rhinoplasty Ptotic Tips and Hanging Columellas)

+1

Hi Russ,

There is nothing that you can do at this time other than be patient and let your nose heal completely.  If you are dissatisfied with your nose appearance 12 months after your original rhinoplasty, then at that time address your concerns with your rhinoplasty surgeon.  Hope that your nose heals to your liking.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Ptotic tip

+1

Dear Russ:

*wks from surgery may be a long time for you, but for rhinoplasty is really almost no time. The appearance of the nose will change in the next 6 to 12 months depending on how thick your skin is, and the last changes will happen at the tip. My advise is to allow the swelling to resolve and then re-asses. Any opinions at this point may no longer hold true in 3 months. Patience is your best option.

Dr Siegel

Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Give a rhinoplasty time

+1

Your photograph is at an angle that would make the tip or columella seem low, so I wouldn't worry too much. A physical exam would be able to determine if you do have tip ptosis, but it's way too early to be worrying about such things. The nose changes significantly over the first year or two, especially in patients with thick skin such as yourself. Be patient, and discuss this with your surgeon when you get back in the States.

Andrew C. Campbell, M.D.

Board Certified Facial Plastic Surgeon

Web reference: http://www.campbellplastics.com

Milwaukee Facial Plastic Surgeon