Drooping Breasts After Major Weight Loss, Do I Need a Lift With Implants? (photo)

Hello, I am 25 years old, 5'2" and weight 112 pounds. I've lost around 70 pounds over the past 10 years and my boobs have noticeable gotten saggy and I have lost breast mass as I lost weight. I have gone from a 36C to a 32C/34B. I would like to get full C Cup perky breasts. In my case, is a breast lift and implants recommended? I know I'm pretty young and have not had kids yet. Does the current state of my breasts indicate how my breasts will change as I age?

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question! The mastopexy procedure raises the breast, which ultimately provides a more youthful and perky breasts. This is done by removing the extra loose skin and rearranging the surrounding breast tissue in order to reshape and support the newly formed breast. At the same time, the nipple-areolar complex (NAC) is raised to the ideal position above the fold beneath your breast (the inframammary fold) as well as being placed at the most projecting portion. Oftentimes with age or following pregnancy, the NAC becomes widened and enlarged. This may be reduced in size during the breast lift procedure.

It is common for the breast to lose its firmness and uplifted appearance over time, which is also accentuated with age, pregnancy/breast feeding, weight gain/loss, and gravity. This results in breast ptosis, or sagging of the breast, with a “deflated” appearance. Women seek the mastopexy procedure to regain the previous youthful appearance of her breasts and women report increased confidence, self-esteem, and femininity once achieving this desired shape and fullness. Breast lifts may or may not be performed with implants – the implant would add increased size but also greater fullness in the upper pole of the breasts which creates more cleavage.  I believe that a combination of an implant with a breast lift would be the ideal procedures for you given your photos as you do have some degree of ptosis (droop) already along with a deficiency of the upper pole of your breast.  Hope that this helps!

Combine breast implant and breast lift for maximum results

+1

Congratulations on your weight loss.

To achieve a full C-cup, I would suggest a sub-muscular implant and a breast lift.  If just implants were done without a lift, I do not think you will get an acceptable result.  Typically, I use silicone implants underneath the muscle.  Usually, nipples remain sensate and you will able to breastfeed after the surgery.  Scars also heal very well in this area.  You may either need a Benelli lift, lollipop or a vertical mastopexy. 

The current state of your breast does indicate how your breast will probably change as you age.  As you age, you lose volume in the breast, typically breast fat.  In addition, the skin looses its elasticity and breast may wind up sagging.

J. Timothy Katzen, MD, FACS

J. Timothy Katzen, MD, FACS

Breast sagging after weight loss

+1

It looks like a breast augmentation may be all that is necessary to provide you with fuller breasts. A more definite answer as to whether or not a lift would be needed would be best determined at the time of a consultation.

George John Alexander, MD, FACS

Major weight loss requires lift

+1

After a 70 lb weight loss you breasts are drooping and the nipples are located low on the chest wall.  Implants may lift the position of the nipples but the added weight will lead to further breast descent.  At age 25, you should have perky breasts to begin with which you do not have.  I recommend a breast augmentation through a circumareola approach with a lift at the same time. To do it at a 2nd operation would cost you more and delay the inevitable.

Best of Luck,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Breast Changes After Weight Loss

+1

Breast sagging is common after significant weight loss. The severity of the sagging is generally classified by the nipple position in relation to the infra-mammary fold or breast crease where the bottom of the breast meets the chest. Based on your photos it appears your nipples are above the infra-mammary fold and you could get a good result with breast implants alone. When the nipples lie below the infra-mammary fold then some type of breast lift procedure is required to improve the breast sagging. A breast implant is also necessary if you want larger breasts. Schedule a consultation with a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

David S. Motoki, MD
Draper Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implants with or without Breast Lift after Large Weight Loss

+1

From the photos you provided I think a Breast Augmentation with silicone gel implants will nicely restore the breast volume and mildly lift the nipple complex. You may not benefit from a Breast Lift. I would wait at least 6 months to see how the breasts look before considering a subsequent Breast Lift.

Breast Lift Needed after Weight Loss?

+1

Congratulations on your significant weight loss.

You are very fortunate;  your breasts have done well despite significant weight loss. Most patients who undergone 70 pound weight loss  end up requiring some form of breast lifting;  based on your pictures, I do not think breast lifting is necessary in your case.

I think you should do very well with breast augmentation only; I would suggest some muscular (dual plane) silicone gel breast implants.

It will be important for you to:

1. Do your due diligence and pick your plastic surgeon carefully.  Make sure that he/she is a well experienced board certified plastic surgeon and see lots of his/her work.

2.  Communicate your goals clearly. In my practice I find the use of goal pictures to be very helpful.    I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
 Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.

I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the breast implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible. 

Drooping Breasts After Major Weight Loss, Do I Need a Lift With Implants?

+1

Do implants first to a size you desire. Than see if the lift is needed. See a few more boarded PSs in your area. 

Breast implants with a possible breast lift

+1

Based on your photos alone you may benefit from breast implants alone however this is difficult to say without examining you in person. Your nipple position looks fairly normal. I would say "possible " lift at this time because you really will not know until you are in the surgery and the implants (or sizers) are in place. I would consult with a few board certified plastic surgeons in your area for a more in depth exam and evaluation. Your overall breast shape is pretty good which is a good predictor of your outcome. Best wishes, Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Mastopexy and Breast Implants After Massive Weight Loss

+1

Large changes in body weight often stretch out skin beyond its ability to bounce back.  Most women need a breast lift to improve breast shape.  You may elect to have an implant or not, depending on how big you want to be.  You will need an implant if you want to return to your prior breast fullness. There are multiple patterns for breast lifts.  From your photographs you may be able to have a lift with minimal scarring, a peri-areolar lift combined with an implant. Congrartulations on your 80 lb weight loss!.

Mary Lee Peters, MD