Drinking Alcohol and Chin Implant?

Hello, I started drinking excessively after 3 weeks from having a chin implant. Could drinking a lot of alcohol cause an infection to my chin implant?

Chin implant incision and alcohol

+1

While no one recommends excessive drinking, as long as your chin implant incision was well-healed before you started, you shouldn't have messed it up.  How is it looking at the moment?  Have you been back to your surgeon for a re-check?

Alcoholic Beverages and Smoking not recommended in early Postoperative Period

+1

Drinking is an unlikely causative event but may make you more prone to an infection following chin augmentation. The same is true of smoking. An intraoral incision (through the lower lip) would make you more prone to an infection under these circumstances.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Drinking alcohol following chin implant

+1

I generally advise my patients to refrain from consuming alcohol 2 weeks prior to and 2 weeks following surgery. This is especially the case with red wine. Alcohol can thin the blood, which interferes with surgery and can cause excess bleeding. Drinking alcohol 3 weeks after your surgery will not cause an infection. However, I would recommend limiting excessive alcohol consumption, as it can cause other issues with your health. Thank you and I hope this helps.

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Drinking alcohol and chin implant

+1

To begin, I would encourage you not to drink excessively, as that can lead to a multitude of problems.  Having said that, I do not believe that drinking alcohol alone would cause an infection to a chin implant.  If you are having issues with your chin implant that would make you believe you might have an infection, I would contact your surgeon so that you can be evaluated.   

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon