Can I Drink Alcohol 5th Day Post Op Liposuction

Drink Alcohol 5th Day Post Op Liposuction

+1

You should consult with your surgeon. If you are still on pain medication, then it is unlikely that alcohol would be a good idea. If you are off pain medications, then it is possible to have one drink at home during a meal depending on your surgeon's recommendation.

Having a drink after liposuction

+1

This is what I tell my patients.

After a small or moderate liposuction, up to 3.5 Liters removed, if my patients are pain free and have taken no medication for 24 hours, a glass of wine with dinner at home is ok.

After a large liposuction (more than 3.5 liters removed), they need to wait at least a week plus be pain free and wait 48 hours after stopping all medicine before having alcohol at home.

Don't drink away from home until 2 full weeks after surgery and 48 hours off all medicine. Why? If you are in an accident, you will be blamed, even if you are not at fault.

Ask your surgeon if s/he agrees. Hope this helps!

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Alcohol after liposuction

+1

You should discuss this with your surgeon. Certainly if you are taking pain medications, it is best to avoid the alcohol.

Liquor after liposuction

+1
My first question is, why? Second, are you taking pain medication? It is important to be hydrated and alcohol acts as a diuretic so I would not recommend drinking this soon after surgery. Additionally, anesthesia does have some long term effects and I do not see a reason to exacerbate these or put you in a situation in which you might be more prone to slip or fall so soon after surgery.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Alcohol after liposuction

+1

The short answer is "yes;" the longer answer is "everything in moderation." 

The most important thing is to stay hydrated and to walk around a lot to avoid a blood clot.  Alcohol is a diuretic (makes you pee) which can increase the risk of bloot clots so don't drink a lot of booze and follow any alcoholic drink with two cups of water.

Daniel Greenwald, MD