If I Drink 1-2 Mixed Drinks (1 Shot Per Drink in Diet Soda) Per Night How Soon Should I Stop Before a TT and Augmentation?

Control of Alcohol Consumption and Plastic Surgery

+1

If you are using alcohol on a nightly basis, your surgical procedure may be a good time to make sure you can quit voluntarily  Your plastic surgery procedure will work best for you if it is part of change that contributes to a healthy lifestyle. Getting rid of bad dietary and exercise patterns will help you get the most from body contouring.  Daily alcohol is a habit that could harm you if you are unable to control it.   

Alcohol and surgery

+1

Generally speaking, 72 hours is the answer.  Especially red wine which apparently has the most effect on the clotting and platelet function. 

David Marcus, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Alcohol and Surgery

+1

Each Plastic Surgeon has their own view point on this and I would suggest you speak with your plastic surgeon. The reason that it is suggested that you stop or have minimal alcohol leading up to your surgery is that if can effect the metabolism (how fast the drugs last) of the anesthesia and pain medicines afterwards and can cause bleeding problems during surgery. Definitely do not drink and take pain medicines afterwards as it can cause you to stop breathing in certain circumstances.

My suggestions to my patients is to have no more than one glass of wine or beer per day 2 weeks before surgery and preferably stop a week prior to surgery, resuming after pain medicines have stopped and you are back to your normal routine

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Alcohol and surgery

+1

I prefer to have patients abstain for two weeks before surgery.  Some alcohol may interact with bleeding pathways and could possibly impact anesthesia.  It is best to ask your doctor.

1-2 drinks daily--how soon to stop before surgery?

+1

I agree with both Dr. Kraft and Dr. Pousti; your own surgeon should really be asked this question.

More importantly, your anesthesia provider should be told exactly how much you drink and how often. This is not to be scolded or judged, but to determine the amount of anesthetic medication that will be necessary to put you properly to sleep and keep you that way during surgery.

Alcohol is broken down in your body by enzymes that are also some of the same ones that break down anesthetic drugs. Thus, for example, an alcoholic who drinks far more than you and for long periods of time becomes habituated to the alcohol, increases those enzymes, and become "resistant" to anesthetic drugs since those increased enzymes break down the anesthesia drugs more rapidly than in other non-imbibing patients. This makes a big difference in dosing, and that is why even a casual drinker needs to let their anesthesia provider know their exact usage. (They really won't judge you, they just want your anesthesia to be safe and adequate!) Why push it? Stop drinking now and be safe(r)! Best wishes!

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Drinking Instructions before Tummy Tuck Surgery?

+1

Your surgeon will have specific instructions for you to follow before and after the tummy tuck procedure. Since he/she is ultimately responsible for your care, it is best to follow his/her instructions as opposed to online consultants'.  Otherwise, you may find that you end up confused with multiple different sources of information.

Preoperative alcohol consumption

+1
I encourage my patients to stop drinking two weeks before surgery, particularly if the drinking is not social but on a daily basis, as you have described. It's always better to be more cautious as alcohol is a vasodilator.

Robert L. Kraft, MD