Is It Okay to Use Certain Dri for Excessive Sweating Before and After a Transaxillary BA?

I am scheduled to have my surgery in 3 weeks. I will be getting silicon implants via transaxillary incision. I have excessive sweating so I use Certain Dri which contains Aluminum Chloride almost every night. Is it okay to continue using it before and after the surgery? Will it affect the healing of the incision site? Thank you.

Sweating and the axillary incision

+1

As a surgeon who was in the group that developed the trans axillary endoscopic approach to breast augmentation, I have seen no increase of infections or capsular contracture using this approach in the past 20 years. Several steps should take place: First we recommend that all patients shower with Hibeclens the night prior to and the morning of the surgery especially in the axilla. Second, we circumferentially prep our patients with a chlorhexidine long lasting prep. Third, we use a Keller funnel so that the implant does not touch the skin in addition to antibiotic irrigation. I think that you could use your Certain Dri up to the day prior to surgery but not the night before because of the above concerns. Also, you could do a swab to see what bacteria are in the axilla and use the Hibeclens for several days leading up to the procedure. I think that you could start using it in 24 hours following the procedure but I use tissue glue for the incisions. Using Botox or another incision site might be a consideration. I would discuss this with your surgeon. 

Transaxillary breast implants

+1

Ask your surgeon about the recommendations for your specific situation.  The only time it would matter is the morning of surgery, and your surgeon will likely have you not apply any deodorant the morning of surgery.  A more important question would be when your surgeon okays you to use the deodorant after surgery.

Web reference: http://edelsonplastic.com/breast/breast-augmentation/

Transaxillary Implants

+1

I think it would be fine to use before surgery although I would avoid it the day before and clean with antibacterial soap.  I would also avoid using Certain Dri on your incision for 2 weeks after surgery.  Good luck! K. Roxanne Grawe, MD Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Web reference: http://www.roxyplasticsurgery.com

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Certain Dri for Excessive Sweating Before and After a Transaxillary BA

+1

If excessive sweating is a problem, I would consider the axilla not to be an incision of choice, and would discuss alternatives with your surgeon. You would not be able to use any topical for several weeks, the sweating will add to risk of implant infection.l 

Sweating after transaxillary augmentation

+1

Probably the best solution for underarm sweating after transaxillary breast augmentation is botox which will keep you completely dry for several months.

Web reference: http://www.peterejohnsonmd.com

Excessive Sweating and Transaxillary Incison

+1

Dear Pennyland,  CertainDri has a very concentrated level of Aluminum Chloride which can last for many days after its last application and can be irritating to healing tissues.  This is good reason to discontinue the product a few days before your surgery and not to restart until cleared by your surgeon to do so.  If you have had any history of cysts or boils in your underarm area, you may want to reconsider the choice of incision selected.  Clearly this merits a discussion with your plastic surgeon now and not on the morning of your surgery.  Give your plastic surgeon a call as soon as possible.

Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Certain Dri Before and After Transaxillary Augmentation

+1

It's probably not a good idea to use that product for a few days before and a week after your surgery. BTW, have you considered asking your surgeon to inject botox for the excessive sweating? You might want to consider that. It is one of the recognized uses for the botox product.

Speak to your surgeon

+1

You need to discuss this with your surgeon.  I would tell my patients to avoid this for at least a week prior to surgery to allow any irritation to resolve and absolutely would not put it on a fresh incision.  Good luck!

Cherry Hill Plastic Surgeon

+1

I would not advise using Certain Dri  on a fresh incision after surgery, and you should discuss your concern about this medication to your plastic surgeon prior to surgery. There should be no problem using this the night before your surgery. Good luck.

Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

+1

I would not advise placing this on a fresh incision after surgery, and you should communicate this concern about this medication to your plastic surgeon prior to surgery.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Web reference: http://www.hughesplasticsurgery.com