Age 52, 5'1, 132 lbs. If I Lose 5lbs, Is That a Reasonable Weight For a TT and Lipo?

Hi.My name is Asha I weigh 132lbs 5' 1" age 52 I have been trying to lose 5lbs before my TT and Lipo (Flanks and lower back) surgery July 17. Is this weight reasonable for surgery? I really would like to be 122lbs but having a hard time losing it. Also I wear a size 10 approx how many sizes will I go down after surgery If any. I am so scared and nervous as this is kind of a taboo in my culture to have cosmetic surgery so am not going to be able to tell anyone except hubby and kids. Thankyou

Five pound weight loss before tummy tuck. / 5 libras menos antes de una abdominoplastia

+3

Losing five pounds before your tummy tuck should not make much of a difference in your final outcome.  Remember starving or fasting prior to surgery could have negative consequences.  The tummy tuck will probable not change your size much.  That will need to be accomplished by healthy eating, I recommend the Gracie Diet(no finacial ties) and excercise.  You are commiting a lot of resources and time to this process so do your part and the surgeon can do his.

Good luck and thank you for your question.

Sincerely,

Anire Okpaku MD

Bajar 5 libras antes de someterse a una abdominoplastia no va cambiar mucho el resultado final. Acuerdese de que pasar hambre o mantenerse en ayuna por varios dias antes de su cirujia puede trar consecuencias negativas. Probablemente la abdominoplastia no va cambiar su talla. Esto va ser posible combinando la cirujia con una alimentacion saludable. Yo recomiendo la Dieta Gracie (sin interes economico) y ejercicio. Usted esta comprometiendo recursos y tiempo en este proceso asi que haga su parte para que su cirujano pueda hacer la de el.

Suerte y gracias por la pregunta.

Atentamente,

Anire Okpaku MD

Ready for Tummy Tuck Surgery?

+3

Although it is not possible to give you precise advice without direct examination and the full communication of your goals, it sounds like you are close enough to a long-term stable weight to undergo the tummy tuck operation. Given that this operation is associated with significant physical and emotional “ups and downs” after the procedure, the following words of advice may be helpful to you:

1. Make sure you are doing the procedure for the right reasons (for yourself)  and that you have realistic expectations.  Be aware that an improvement in the “problem area” may not translate to an overall improvement in your life   situation.  You are bound to be disappointed with results of the procedure if your motivation for doing the surgery is not internally driven.

2. Time your surgery carefully; generally, it is not a good idea to have surgery done during or immediately after a stressful period in life (for example divorce or death of a loved one). The additional stress of surgery will undoubtedly be  more challenging to deal with if a patient's emotional reserves our already exhausted. Remember, that an improvement in your physical appearance will not translate to an improvement in your life situation.

3. If possible speak to patients who have undergone similar procedures and query them about the toughest times of their recovery period. Any practical hints previous patients can provide may be very helpful.

4. Make sure you are aware of potential complications that may arise how to reach your surgeon if necessary.
5. Make sure you have a strong and patient support system (several people if possible) in place who have time/patience to take care of you. Arrange for professional nursing if any doubt exists regarding the availability and/or stamina  of your caretakers.

6. Be patient with the healing process, understanding that it will take several weeks to months to feel “normal” again. It may also take many months/year to see the end results of your surgery.

7. Be prepared to distract your mind with things of interest such as books, magazines, and movies.

8. Expect less of yourself; do not go back to work, school or chores too early and let others take care of you (for a change).

9. Pick your surgeon carefully (a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon) and trust in his/her advice. Keep in close communication with your surgeon and do not hesitate to communicate questions/concerns and the   emotional swings that you may experience.

10. Resume all medications that you were using preoperatively when cleared by your plastic surgeon and stop the use of narcotics and sedatives as soon as feasible after surgery.

11. Keep in mind the end results as you go through the tougher emotional times after your surgery.

Ideal weight for surgery

+2

As others have suggested you should be close to your ideal weight before any elective surgery but 5 lbs really shouldn't make much of a difference.  You could proceed with surgery as scheduled and if you loose 5 lbs after the surgery I wouldn't expect much additional loose skin.  Good luck to you!

Milind K. Ambe, MD

Ideal weight for a tummy tuck

+2

Not to sound too simplistic, but the the ideal weight for any operation is your ideal body weight and there are charts everywhere that can tell you that. However the practical issues are that very few people are actually at their ideal body weight. So you are asking a great question. What is realistic from a real life perspective?

So for any tightening procedures such as tummy tuck, face lift, breast reduction, or breast lift, the closer you are to your ideal weight the the better it is theoretically. Less fat and more skin  excess means simply that you can excise more of the excess skin. If you gain a little weight afterward. then it will only tighten the skin to some degree and not grossly distort the result.

Therefore in your case, you are at a very reasonable weight for your surgery, but I always tell my patients that if you want to lose any amount of weight prior to surgery, then I am all for it, unless the weight loss would go beyond the ideal weight. 

The only exception to this rule is for liposuction. For liposuction, I believe patients should be at the weight they can maintain. If you lose weight lower than what you can reasonably maintain long term then when you gain your weight back, it will go to unusual places. This unusual fat redistribution after liposuction causes people concern, but it will NEVER happen if you do not gain weight after liposuction. So enter liposuction at a weight that you can maintain easily. 

Jay Burns, MD

A matter of 5 pounds shouldn't make a big difference for tummy tuck.

+2

Thank you for your question and the photos.

A matter of 5 pounds shouldn't make a big difference.  In general, it is good to be at the weight that you would like to be at the time of surgery but 5 pounds off is okay.

To be sure, see two or more board-certified plastic surgeons in your area for a full and complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have surgery.  I hope this helps.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Reasonable Weight For a TT and Lipo

+2

Asha

Your BMI (body mass index) is within the range of normal, and by that standard your weight is reasonable. A matter of five pounds is not likely at all to change the nature of the operation you will be having. 

It is not really possible without an examination or at least photos to hazard a guess on clothing size. What your goal should be is a smoother abdominal contour from the tummy tuck, and loss of the bulging you probably have in the flanks and back. You could have a great result and no change of clothing size! 

Your weight is just fine for tummy tuck.

+2

Hi.

Your weight is fine right now.  Don't torture yourself.  It is hard to tell how many sizes you will go down, because that also depends on your thighs and your breasts.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Reasonable Weight

+1
That seems reasonable to me, but can best be determined by a consultation with an experience board certified plastic surgeon.

Howard N. Robinson, MD

Don't Wait to Lose the Five Pounds

+1

It sounds as if you are already at a good weight for your tummy tuck.  Ten to fifteen pound weight loss after a tummy tuck will not significantly affect your result.  I cannot say without actually seeing you, but the average patient with liposuction alone will drop about 2 sizes.  With a tummy tuck, it depends whether there is only loose skin or a large fat roll as well. Do it now!

William H. Huffaker, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Extreme efforts at weight loss before tummy tuck usually not advisable

+1

Hi there-

It sounds like losing more weight would require an abnormal and possibly unhealthy alteration of your lifestyle. Don't worry about it.

Remember that the goal of the surgery is to help you achieve your best body contour possible- not to fit you into any particular dress size- therefore, you should judge your outcome based on your improved appearance, and not on the number on the label of your clothing.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS