Is It Possible to Get a Dramatic Reduction Without Leaning Towards the "Jackson" Realm? (photo)

When working with African Americans, I'm sure surgeons get the same request, "don't make me look like Michael!" I see some have accomplished that..a lot haven't. I want a nose that looks great on my face. My apprehension about surgery is in the fact that I'm looking to have my nose not look a whole lot like the baseline structure. Looking at my face you can clearly see a very bulbous tip, nostril flaring and low bridge. Question is, just how much can I change and have the outcome look natural?

+2

You should be able get natural looking results through Rhinoplasty.  Be sure to schedule your consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.  Tip Rhinoplasty and Alar wedge nasal reduction are common practices when doing a Rhinoplasty. 

Natural Results in Ethnic Rhinoplasty

+2

Augmenting your bridge, defining your tip, and narrowing your nasal base can all be accomplished achieving a natural result so your nose is proportional to your surrounding facial features. Find an experienced surgeon whose results you like.

Your rhinoplasty

+2

Hi Remy,

First off, you've got a great face with wonderful features.  Your nose is nice and I favor smaller changes in your case.  The bridge can be subtly raised and the tip refined a bit.  The cook-book move in a nose like yours is an alar base reduction.  Not a bad idea but I would keep it conservative.  You want to be natural.  Get several consults and ask to see noses like your own.  A couple of things to keep in mind:

1.  The width of your nose will be about the same now and after surgery while smiling.

2.  You will not see great refinement in your nose for about a month. . .and it will look even better as the weeks go by.

3.  Don't cost cut.  Prices will very but don't low ball on a rhinoplasty.  Ask surgeon what is it that they do to give your nose a nice appearance long-term.

Best of luck

Chase Lay, MD

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Change, and then some

+2

You have a very beautiful nose already!  Personal changes are, well, personal.  Perhaps consider narrowing the base of your nose, strengthen the bridge, and beautify the tip.  Your Facial Cosmetic Surgeon will take you, step by step, through the process.

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

It's possible to be significantly diffferent while still appearing natural

+1
A few of the most common concerns that prompt black patients to seek rhinoplasty include the flat bridge and the width of the lower nose including flaring of the nostrils. Additionally, a flat, large, ill-defined tip may also accompany these other features. Increasing the height of the dorsum will help to balance the profile but also improve definition of the bridge from the front view. This along with improving tip definition and projection can help to make the nose appear less flat and give the nose more definition. Typically, alar base surgery is also required to decrease the flaring or an excessively rounded appearance of the nostrils as well as their size. Although it is possible to make the nose look significantly better with rhinoplasty, it is important that the resulting changes still appear in balance with the other facial features and remain ethnically congruent to avoid an unnatural result and stigmatizing result. With rhinoplasty in the black patient, there is no leeway for an overdone nose - this is terribly stigmatizing and we have seen good examples of this in the media!

The goal of rhinoplasty surgery should be to create a nose that is best suited to your face both in proportion and shape so that you achieve the most natural looking result. If done well, it is possible to achieve a result after rhinoplasty that looks significantly better to you while making it not obvious that surgery was ever performed.

You would benefit from a consultation with a board certified plastic surgery that has significant experience with rhinoplasty in black patients.

Jamil Ahmad, MD

Is It Possible to Get a Dramatic Reduction Without Leaning Towards the "Jackson" Realm?

+1

"Don't give me a Michael Jackson nose" is a refrain we hear from all ethnicities. Michael, unfortunately, had over-reduction of his nose through the course of many surgeries. Based on the photos you provided, you would benefit from refinement of the tip, building up of the nasal bridge and narrowing the lower part of your nose. None of these maneuvers, in the hands of an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon, will result in the dreaded MJ nose.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon