Why Are Drains Used in Breast Augmentation?

Hi, I would like to know why some surgeons use drains in breast augmentation while others don´t. Can they cause an infection? Is it better to use them or not? Thank you

Drains and breast augmentation

+6

For augmentation using smooth implants most surgeons do not use drains. However for augmentations where a textured surface implant will be used a drain will limit fluid around the implant and promote the ingrowth of the capsule into the textured surface of the implant. If there is fluid around the capsule the incorporation of the implant into the surrounding capsule will likely not occur and the implant will behave similar to a smooth walled implant. In this case, one would not gain the benefits of the textured surface which include decreasing the capsular contracture rate and preventing rotation of the implant (important if a shaped implant is used).

Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

Drains are not routine in breast augmentation

+3

Drains are placed into surgical sites where there is potential for fluid buildup. I do  not use them routinely for breast augmentation but there are some instances where it might be considered. One is when textured, shaped implants such as the 'gummy bears" are used, because the body needs to "stick" to the textured implant surface to prevent it from rotating. Fluid buildup could interfere with that. Another is if there is concern about bleeding. Revision surgeries often involve more dissecting, and I always use drains with Alloderm or Strattice. However, some surgeons do use them on all augmentations.

Richard Baxter, MD

No drains for breast augmentation

+2

In first time breast augmentation, most plastic surgeons DO NOT use drains. I do not use them either. It is not necessary.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Drains for breast augmentation

+2

I do not routinely use drains for primary breast augmentation but will use them on occasion for redo's. It is personal preference.

Drains and breast augmentation surgery

+2

The usage of surgical drains after breast augmentation surgery is highly surgeon specific. Drains are generally placed when the surgeon determines or feels as if there might be fluid collecting around the implant after surgery. Certain breast surgical procedures may have a higher incidence of requiring drain placement, such as revision breast augmentation. the majority of patients undergoing primary (for the first time) breast augmentation at Gayoso Plastic Surgery do not require the use of post operative drains.

Antonio Gayoso, MD
Saint Petersburg Plastic Surgeon

+2

The majority of boarded PSs DO NOT use drains in primary breast augmentation. If a surgeon uses them on a regular basis than that is his/her personal technique. 

I do not use drains on a routine augmentation

+2

I do not use drains on a routine augmentation.  If I have perfromed a complicated mastopexy/augmentation I might use a drain.

Vishnu Rumalla, MD

Drains after Breast Augmentation

+2

Most plastic surgeons do NOT use drains after a standard breast augmentation as there is no evidence that they offer any benefit. If you surgeon plans on using them, ask why.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS
Ohio Plastic Surgeon

DRains in Breast Augmentation

+2

I have many friends who are excellent plastic surgeons and use drains for breast augmentation. However, I have never used them for a routine enlargement and see no benefit in their use in my hands. I think you should find a surgeon who you like and trust and let him make the decisions based on his preferences and experience.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Drains during breast augmentation

+2

I do not use drains during breast augmentation surgery. They are a potential access for an infection in my opinion as they are an opening to the outside. I use them in certain revisionary procedures due to the amount of drainage that may come from those type of procedures.

Rick Rosen, MD
Norwalk Plastic Surgeon