Will I Need Drains with Capsulectomy and No Replacement? (photo)

I have to remove 28 year old textured, Silicone implants above the muscle, including capsulectomy. I don't like drains. Are they used with this procedure at all? Can I avoid them? I don't smoke, am in great health, but I am 55. Right breast recently developed some hardness on the bottom against the chest wall, and implant has raised up a bit. Implants are small, went from an A to a B. Now, I have gained weight and gotten older, and they are D's. I will have new incision under breast, not areola.

Http://www.breastcapsulectomy.com

+1

Typically, I do not use drains for capsulectomies. If however, there is excessive bleeding I might need to use a drain. In your case I would doubt you would need insertion of any drains. In the end, it completely depends on what your plastic surgeons technique and comfort level.

Good luck.

Sincerely Dr.Katzen

Drains after implant removal

+1

Using drains after removal of your implants depend upon how extensive the surgery is and how raw the surfaces are inside that may produce fluid collections.

Drains?

+1

If you are having a capsulectomy and removal of the implant the use of drains really depends upon the preference of the surgeon and how "wet" your cases. The removal of an implant is basically a straightforward operation, especially if implants are not replaced. For your information, we have just filmed and implant removal that was required because the patient had the French implant PIP and needed to be removed. This video will be appearing on YouTube in the next week or so. Good luck with your operation.

John E. Sherman, MD

Drains after capsulectomy

+1

Most plastic surgeons will use drains after implant removal and capsulectomy  to avoid the collection of fluid in the pocket while healing is occurring.  If new implants are placed, drains may be avoided, but the use of drains without new implants may prevent the need to aspirate any fluid before things have healed.

Leonard T. Yu, MD
Maui Plastic Surgeon

Drains after Capsulectomy?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.

Your plastic surgeon may or may not use drains;  you will find that different plastic surgeons have different thoughts about the need for drains  after this type of surgery. I personally do use drains most of the time after capsulectomy.