Drains and Traveling for a Tummy Tuck?

Hi, I am interested in finding a doctor to perform a tummy tuck for me but I live in a rural area and may need to travel far. I understand that most plastic surgeons use drains for their tummy tuck patients, how long will I need to keep them in? Do I stay in the city of my surgery until the drains are removed, or fly with them still in remove them later? Depending on the location, can I get a drainless tummy tuck and still have nice results? Just trying to consider my options, thank you.

Traveling for Tummy Tuck Surgery

+1

You may find out that each surgeons preference for drain removal differs, my preference is to remove the drains once the drain output is low (less than 20cc).

I have out of town patients who travel for tummy tuck surgery and I ask those patients to stay in town as long as possible (ideally 2 weeks or longer). The drain removal varies from patient to patient but the average time for drain removal is 1-3 weeks post op.

Find a board certified plastic surgeon whose experience you are comfortable with and ask to see many examples of their work.

Drain removal after tummy tuck

+1

Hi there-

Whether or not the surgeon you choose uses drains, and how long they usually leave them in, will be based on their preferences and experience, and I would NOT use this as a criterion for choosing a surgeon.

In other words, I would find the best surgeon you can based on their education, training, experience, talent, and outcomes, and then follow whatever advice they give you with regard to the use of drains and the length of time they should stay in.

If you do travel for your tummy tuck, be prepared to stay near your surgeon for at least a week...But it may be possible to make arrangements for drain removal closer to home once your surgeon thinks it is safe for you to make the return trip.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Hello

+1
Usually for a tummy tuck drains stay in for 5—10 days. Each practice is different depending on what there protocol is.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS

Drains and Traveling for a Tummy Tuck?

+1

Find a surgeon who closes the abdomen with progressive advancement sutures. With that technique I find it rare to have the drains in for more than 7 days, sometimes less. I prefer my out of town patients who live quite a ways away to plan to stay 7-10 days, or plan on traveling back for a post op visit in that time.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Drains with tummy tuck

+1

Most plastic surgeons use drains with abdominoplasties.  The drains are usually left in place for 1-3 weeks, and occasionally longer, depending on the amount of drainage.  There are some surgeons that use "tissue glue" to help seal the dissection area without using drains.  However, living in a rural area, you would probably be better off with drains to try to prevent developing a seroma (fluid collection).  The down side of drains would be having to travel to see your surgeon to get them removed.  You should discuss the options and surgeon's protocol for drains with your situation.

Todd C. Case, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon