Draining Bright Yellow Fluid 5 Days After Liposuction?

I had ultrasonic liposuction done of my waist and hips (love handles). He removed 1 liter of material, with three incisions made on each side. The incisions in front and on my sides stopped draining and closed up by 48 hours, but the incisions on my back are still draining quite a bit! I have to change my dressing every couple of hours. It is bright yellow with a little red in the middle usually. I asked my PS today at my post op visit, but he didnt look or seem concerend. Is this normal?

5 Days of Drainage after Liposuction

5 days of drainage is upper limit of normal so you should continue to follow with your plastic surgeon.  A compression garment may help reduce egress of fluid if your plastic surgeon advises usage of these garments.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

435 North Roxbury Drive
Beverly Hills, CA 90210

Drainage can persist even longer than this; up to a week or more is not unheard of depending on how much was done and what your skin is like.  You should of course, remain in contact with your PS.  And, finally, if fluid is forming it's better if it comes out than if it has to be resorbed by your body.

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

122 East 64th Street
New York, NY 10065

Draining Bright Yellow Fluid 5 Days After Liposuction

It is perhaps above average, but still not a rare thing to have persistent drainage after liposuction, and more likely with the ultrasonic lipo. It will slow down.

Stay in touch with your surgeon. If still draining in another week, have him look!

All the best.

1110 112th Avenue NE
Bellevue, WA 98004

Drainage after Liposuction

Although a bit prolonged, after ultrasonic liposuction patients are more prone to these types of drainage.  Were your incisions closed?  Sometimes surgeons prefer to leave the access incisions open to prevent prolonged edema but this also increases the duration and amount of drainage.  Be sure to wear your compression garments continuously an keep your incision sites dry by changing the pads frequently.  Good luck

Robert Morgan Davoudi, MD

3855 Pleasant Hill Road
Duluth, GA 30096