Drainage After Tummy Tuck?

I had a tummy tuck 2 weeks ago and have one drainage left in. There is approx 100- 120 mls of Frank blood draining daily.... is this normal?

Draining two weeks after tummy tuck

+2

100-200cc of bloody drainage two weeks after is not the norm. You must have had a small hematoma. It's good that your surgeon not only used drains, but left them in a bit longer in order to let the blood come out. I would only be concerned if you should start with a fever.

Drainage After Abdominoplasty (Tummy Tuck)

+1

Most plastic surgeons use drains during an abdominoplasty (tummy tuck).  This helps to eliminate any fluid that would ordinarily collect in the space created under the tightened abdominal skin.  This fluid is generally serous, clear yellow tinged, after the first several days.  When the drainage has diminished sufficiently, the drains can be removed.  Most surgeons use a cutoff of around 30 cc per day.  When the drainage is bloody, it usually means the patient had a hematoma, or bleeding at some point after surgery.  Retained blood can cause infections or additional scarring.  It is best to leave drains until any bloody drainage has significantly resolved.  If there is significant swelling of the abdomen after tummy tuck, it is prudent to contact your surgeon for evaluation.

Glen Brooks, MD
Springfield Plastic Surgeon