Why Do I Still Have Drainage After a Mini Tuck?

I had a mini tuck with lipo nearly 3 weeks ago. I have one drain and it is still producing 50-70cc's. Today the fluid turned strawberry colored after being straw colored for nearly a week. No fever or swelling..wearing compression except in shower. Waist is nearly 2 inches smaller already.

Drainage after a mini-tummy tuck

+1

A mini tummy tuck is often combined with liposuction of several regions. Because of this, you can have prolonged drainage. 

Prolonged drainage after mini tummy tuck

+1

A mini tummy tuck is a safe and effective procedure that can create a more contoured abdomen, a tight waist and a beautiful figure.

Patients who receive a mini tummy tuck should be aware of the recovery process afterwards. This may consist of swelling, bruising, and discomfort after the surgery. Many of our patients that receive the surgery also require a drain to remove the extra fluid that may accumulate. These drains usually stay in place anywhere from 3 to 7 days. If you have a drain in place for more than three weeks, be sure that you let your plastic surgeon on your concerns as they will likely want to assess you and consider a small procedure to remove the drain and possibly some of the tissue that is creating the drain fluid. It is also essential that you use a tight compression garment that will help squeeze the tissue and prevent re-accumulation of the drain fluid.

Pat Pazmino, MD

Persistent drainage after mini tummy tuck

+1

The amount of drainage you describe is still too much to remove the drain. I have found that excessive physcal activity can promote drainage while MLD can occasionally diminish it.