Opinions On No Drain Tummy Tuck?

I read more and more about people getting a "no drain tummy tuck" but I don't see comments from Doctors as to if this is recommended over the regular tummy tuck. Are there Doctors in Illinois that perform a "no drain tummy tuck"? Are there additional risks to this procedure? Is there an additional cost to this procedure?

Opinions On No Drain Tummy Tuck?

There ha been a quoted risk of about 20% for developing a seroma following a tummy tuck, using traditional techniques and WITH the use of drains.  In recent years a "quilting technique" was proposed where multiple dissolvable sutures are placed between the undersurface of the tummy "flap" and the underlying abdominal wall fascia prior to closure to reduce the large open space that could potentially fill with seroma fluid.  Some surgeons who starting using this technique stopped using drains as they did not think they were necessary.  I personally use the quilting technique AND use drains long enough until the drainage has lessened and the drains can be removed, usually averaging about a week after surgery.  I have not had a seroma following a tummy tuck in many years, in fact, since I started using the quilting technique. Since dealing with a seroma is not always fun (it requires frequent office visits for the fluid to be drained with a needle and syringe, and in some cases may lead to taking the patient back to surgery for a drain to be placed), I have decided to use the "belt and suspenders" approach...quilting sutures AND drains.