Drain Hole Not Closing, Very Painful. What To Do? (photo)

I am 3.5 weeks post op. My left drain hole has not closed up. Last week it started very painful and leaking fluid, went to the PS on Tuesday and he said i had stitched popping through, He cut one out leaving another hole. I now have two painful holes next to each other. I have been putting neosporin and bandaids on it like directed. It isnot healing and very sore. Now the skin around it is getting raw as well. I am attaching pics of the bandaid I removed and the holes.

Tummy Tuck - Drain Hole Not Closing, Very Painful. What To Do?

+3

Usually, these holes close well on their own unless one of the following is happening:  persistent suture material (causing ongoing irritation) or there's still something coming out (like fluid).  Or both, of course.  Either way, I would expect it to close on its own, though you may need another superficial suture removed.  The best thing is to stay in touch with your PS and let him or her guide you through this - you're almost there!

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Drains holes after surgery.

+2

Nobody likes drains.  Unfortunately they are a necessary component of many plastic surgery procedures.  Most patients will close their drain holes in a few days after they are removed.  Some patients will develop a stubborn wound that has trouble closing.  Removing a stitch if it was exposed is the right thing to do.  Keep up with your dressing changes and see your plastic surgeon as directed.  It should heal soon.  Best of Luck, Dr. Kerr

Mahlon Kerr, MD, FACS

Drain holes not closing..why?

+2

The reason is almost always either a retained suture or an infection, even a localized one. It may even be a combination of both where a suture may be infected, and removing it is required for the hole to close. Once both issues are taken care of, the hole should close up within a few days.

Mark D. Epstein, MD
Stony Brook Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck drain holes

+2

Drain holes typically close in a few days.  From what I can see from your pictures these areas should heal shortly with the treatment you are doing.  It would be a good idea to get rechecked by your doctor to make sure you are not developing an infection.

Sanjiv Kayastha, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

Incision Line "Holes” after Tuumy Tuck?

+2

I'm sorry to hear about the “painful” experience.

Usually, superficial  incision line separation is related to suture material. If the area is not healing there may be additional sutures that need to be dealt with. Close follow-up with your plastic surgeon will be necessary. Once these sutures have been removed,  the “holes” generally heal quickly and without the need for further intervention.

The surrounding area that is becoming “raw” may be irritated by the adhesive from Band-Aids/dressings. You may want to consider the use of nonstick dressings covered by sterile dressings to protect your clothing and to keep the open areas clean. Minimize tape and adhesives as much as possible.