I just had surgery 24 hours ago and my drain already seems to be stopping?

Could there be a problem? Or is it okay?

Drains after abdominoplasty

+2

If the drain is no longer collecting fluid, there are a few possible reasons. The first is that the body just is no "creating" much fluid and there is not much fluid to collect in the drain. This would be just fine and you can probably have the drain removed in the next few days. Another possibility would be that the drain is "clogged." You can "strip" the drain by running your pinched fingers down the tubing to milk the fluid out of the tubing and into the bulb. This sometimes is all that is needed. But it could be that the tubing is kinked or that the sutures holding the drain are too tight and obstructing the tubing. If you are not seeing any drainage collecting and your abdomen is becoming progressively more swollen and tender. Or if you can feel something that feels like a partially filled water balloon under the skin, you probably need to see your surgeon to check the drain. But, you might be completely fine if there aren't any of the above symptoms.

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

+1
As noted by others, it could be that your body is done weeping fluid into the area where the drain sits or it is blocked.  It seems more likely that it is blocked and you should discuss it with your surgeon.

For more information, please go to my website at:
WirthPlasticSurgery.com

Garrett A. Wirth, MD, FACS

Drains Not Working

+1

Thank you for your question. A personal exam and consultation is always best.

That said you should contact your surgeon. Your drain could be blocked or your body may have drained all your bodily fluids. Only your surgeon can determine the best course of action.

Be sure to consult a plastic surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, experienced in your procedure, and who has an excellent reputation in your community.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS