Where should I have drain and stitches removed in the US after traveling for surgery?

Hello I need to leave 5 days post op with my drain and stitches back to the US is there any doctors or clinics that anyone know of that will remove the drain and cut the stitches when it's time?

Medical tourism

+1
Medical tourism is not without it's risks. Please be informed before you decide on leaving the US for procedures. Although you may or may not be going to the Dominican Republic, similar dangers exist elsewhere.  More importantly, how will you deal with any complications if they do occur?  The bulletin below was released today. 

As far as finding a physician that will take care of you post operatively, you should not have a problem. But of course that will not be included in your fee to the foreign surgeon and you will have to pay for their services. 

The American Society of Plastic Surgeons today sent out this Plastic Surgery News Special Bulletin email. "CDC urges plastic surgeons to be alert for rapidly growing Mycobacterium infections from cases performed in the Dominican Republic"

Aftercare in the US for surgery doen in another country

+1
Aftercare is just as important as the actual surgery. When you travel out of the country for surgery, the price is much cheaper, but partly because there is no aftercare, followup, or even the ability to call your surgeon if you have a question or concern. It will be difficult to find a US doctor that is willing to assume the aftercare for your surgery done in another country, and if you do, you will definitely have to pay for it. Good luck.

Stitch removal

+1

I don't believe it would be safe for you to travel before these can be removed by your PS, as he has to check that everything is going well with incisions and drain. US Dr's and PS's don't usually agree to treat post op patients that had surgery n other countries and this is why a patient has to commit to staying in town and resolve all this before flying home.

Dr. Campos

Jaime Campos Leon, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Medical tourism

+1
You should ask around your community to find a doctor that can help you. Best of luck with your surgery. Good luck.

+1
Thank you for your question, before you travel back home you will attend a post op appointments, where your surgeon will remove some stitches and check that everything is healing properly, there He/She will let you know when should it be best to remove drains and remaining stitches. Once back home you can go see you're regular Doctor, or even a nurse can help you remove stitches.

Salvador Pantoja, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Traveling for Surgery

+1
Part of the issue of traveling for surgery is follow up care.  For patients leaving NYC for surgery and then returning with unresolved care such as sutures and drains to remove, you will need to find a local doctor.  Expect to pay for your visit as these doctors were not your treating doctor so there is no doctor patient relationship established or expectation of care.  When you see your operating surgeon after surgery, the suture removal and drain removal is all included, but when you see another doctor, then you would be obligated to compensate them for their services unless your operating surgeon made special arrangements for you ahead of time with a local surgeon for you.  I often see patients returning from medial tourism misadventures requiring revision surgery or follow up care.  Unfortunately, the surgeons never explained to them any potential follow up care needed after surgery after they returned home.    

David Shafer, MD