Dr. Tells Me Gentle Yag Doesn't Work on Gray Hair. True or False?

1. The doctor tells me gentle yag doesn't work on gray hair. True or false? 2. I have a very heavy, thick, hard beard, half of which is gray. Doctor tells me I need gentle yag over the entire beard at least 6 times to get rid of all the black hair. True or false? 3. Lastly, she says treatments would be once every two months to hit all hair in anogen stage. True or false? Thanks, Eugene

Is the Gentle Yag Laser effective for gray hair...

+1

The Gentle Yag laser or any other laser does not work on gray hair because of the loss of pigmentation.  The pigmentation is needed to concentrated the power of the laser to treat the hair follicle effectively.  Typically patients wait 4 weeks in between each treatment.  Everyone has their own rate of hair growth so it basically depends on the individual themselves.  Usually you need 6 treatments in the beginning with a touch up treatment every 4-5 months after that.

Edison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Laser Hair Removal...

+1

This is true, there is no laser , to my knowledge, that treats gray or blonde hair.  I like to recommend my patients to come in every 4 to 6 weeks for treatments of Laser Hair Removal.  I also tell my patients that it is not uncommon to have 4 to 8, sometimes even more, treatments for best results. 

Good luck.  Hope this helps.

Grant Stevens, MD

Laser and Hair Color

+1

It is true that the darker the hair, the more effective the laser treatment will be.  Laser treatments work by delivering light energy through the hair to the hair follicle, where hair is produced.  The darker the hair, i.e. the more melanin, the more energy.  Therefore, white hair cannot be treated with laser hair removal.  The same theory explains why blonde hair does not respond.  Depending upon how gray the hair, there may be some improvement.  

Corey L. Hartman, MD
Birmingham Dermatologic Surgeon

Gentle YAG and gray hair

+1
No hair removal laser works on gray hair including the gentleYAG. With hair removal, several treatments spaced 6-8 weeks apart are typically necessary to get the best results in hair reduction (for the darker hair - no response expected for the gray).

Daniel Berg, MD
Seattle Dermatologic Surgeon