Doctor Recommends Tummy Tuck 1 Week After Hysterectomy. Is This Safe?

I went my consultation on 11/30/10 and my Plastic Surgeon said that it will be cheaper for me to get my Tummy Tuck in his facility instead of the hospital along with my GYN Dr. I originally wanted my Hysterectomy and Tummy Tuck done at the same time, but the out of pocket cost worries me, but so does having to go under the knife a second time with in a weeks time. What should I do? I do not have any cancer or anything just active endometriosis. Please help! what should I do?

Delayed Tummy Tuck 1 week after hysterectomy

Your surgeon is correct. I have the same problem with my  hospital. Theire charges far exceed the other outpaitent facilities including my office. In  a healthy individual, this would likely be okay to delay by one week but I would personally be reluctant to do this due to concerns about infection and DVT.

880 W Central Rd
Arlington Heights, IL 60005

Tummy Tuck 1 Week After Hysterectomy

While the surgeon is correct that hospital facility fees are significantly higher than in an out patient setting, the interval is troubling. You probably should wait a minimum of 6 weeks prior to having the tummy tuck post hysterectomy.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

1501 Forest Hill Boulevard
West Palm Beach, FL 33406

Tummy tuck

Your surgeon is correct, we have the same concern with some of our local hospitals.  I would wait a bit longer, but that is a personal judgment.

Shahin Javaheri, MD

2100 Webster Street,
San Francisco, CA 94115

Let the areas fully heal and recover following hysterectomy before considering a tummy tuck procedure.

I would generally advice you against having a tummy tuck 1 week following hysterectomy as the wounds will still be relatively fresh and you will be recovering from your hysterectomy which is not a small operation.

In my practice I would generally let the areas fully heal and recover following hysterectomy before considering a tummy tuck procedure.

I do wish you the best of luck when you decide to go but you know it's important to remember that it's best to be in fit physical condition when you have any type of surgery.

Adrian Richards, MD
London Plastic Surgeon

BMI Paddocks Clinic, Aylesbury Road
Princes Risborough, Buckinghamshire HP27 0JS

NO!!! You need to wait for the healing and swelling from the hysterectomy to resolve. It could take 6 weeks or more. BAD IDEA to have this TT in 1 week adfter the Hyst. BAD IDEA! From MIAMI DR. Darryl J. Blinski, 305 598 0091

6330 Manor Lane
Miami, FL 33143

Tummy tuck and hysterectomyat same time

If your hysterectomy is not for a cancer related disorder and relatively straighforward, it would be best to do it at the same time as opposed to stagintgit a few weeks apart. If you are going to stage it, then I would wait several months to heal up from your hysterectomy first.

1049 Fifth Ave
New York, NY 10028

Tummy Tuck and Hysterectomy - One Surgery, One Recovery

A tummy tuck can be easily done following a hysterctomy.   In fact, as I am writing this response, I am waiting for an OB/GYN to finish her hysterctomy and bladder suspension procedure so I can complete my patient's tummy tuck and liposuction waist.   As long as the patient is healthy enough for the combined procedures and your OB/GYN is OK with a combined procedure, I would suggest doing both procedures at the same time.  Hence, you are consolidating your recovery as well.   As per costs, there is great variance based on hospital, region, facility.  But cost is one variable to consider when developing your care plan.    Your safety and comfort need to be the #1 priority.  Postoperative care plan and recovery is also very important.

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

6400 Fannin
Houston, TX 77030

Combining a tummy tuck with a hysterectomy

The option you present is feasible. Another option would  be to time the surgery after you have fully recovered from your hysterectomy.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

804 7th Street
Santa Monica, CA 90403

Tummy tuck can be done together with hysterectomy.

The suggested plan makes no sense to me.  Just going by the information you provide, I would recommend doing both together.

But don't do this with a plastic surgeon who has not done both together a lot and who is not comfortable with the plan.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

875 Park Ave at 78th Street
New York, NY 10075

Tummy tuck with hysterectomy

In our current experience in the Chicago area, tummy tuck at the time of hysterectomy is less common. Often hysterectomy is done with a laparascope unless the uterus is large. The cost structure of hospitals  is very high as well and we find a savings working in an accredited office based facility. As far as timing goes, we would suggest that you are well recovered from your hysterectomy before tummy tuck, though the procedure should be safe the week after.

8901 West Golf Road
Des Plaines, IL 60016