Can Any Dr Tell Me by This Photo What Might Be Problem with Congestion on Left Side?

I've been told i still have some nasal valve collapse afer 2010 surgery where spreader grafts were used. My septum was also rebuilt at that time using rib cartlidge. I'm a singer and it's extremely difficult to try and sing through congestion on left side. Don't know if it's still nasal valve collapse as i know some still exists or something else? Any advice much appreciated.Thank you

Nasal Congestion on Left Side

+2

Thank you for submitting the picture of the base of your nose, but it is impossible to determine the cause of your nasal obstruction without an intra-nasal examination. It impossible to discuss all possible diagnoses in this space. My only advice is to consult with an experienced nasal surgeon.

Why am I congested

+2

It's difficult to advise you just on this photo. You really need a comprehensive exam. Allergies, large turbinates, residual septal deviation or nasal valve collapse could all contribute. 

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal obstruction after rhinoplasty is not always valve collapse

+2

Dear gmann

Thank you for the base view of your nose in the photograph.  

The congestion that you feel on the left side may be from a variety of factors.  These include:

1. Valve collapse ( as you stated) 
  2. residual septal deviation
  3. large inferior turbinates
  4. upper respiratory allergies
  5. change in the way your nerves are interpreting the airflow in your nose 
  6. Or other obtruction deeper in your nose 

The best way to know how your nasal airway is functioning is to be evaluated with a nasal endoscopic examination.   This can be helpful in identifying other obstructions or ruling them out. Best Wishes

Travis T. Tollefson, MD, MPH
Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

Congestion

+2

It is hard to give you a diagnosis with only this photo. There are so many factors that maybe contributing to your problem, that additional pictures may not even help. In my opinion you need to get a second opinion, so an examination can be performed.

Michel Siegel, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Obstructive nasal symptoms

+1

In addition to the excellent comment of Dr Tollefson (see above) I would add rebound congestion from excessive use of nasal decongenstant sprays (afrin) and substance abuse.

Andrew Pichler, MD
Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

As a singer, IMHO you should leave your nose alone.  It looks OK and any further Revision Rhinoplasty surgeries would be very difficult with chances of things turning out worse instead of better.