The Dr. Oz Show Said They Had a New Cutting Edge Lipo for Muffin Top. $2500 What is It?

I was watching the Dr. Oz show and they were showing results for "a new cutting edge" Lipo procedure for Muffin top. They said the range is around $2500. What is the name of the procedure? I Just had a baby and my Love Handles are HUGE!

Muffin top procedure

+2

I actually happen to be watching when that segment was on.  There is nothing new about that procedure.  They were just promoting liposuction performed while the patient is awake versus general anesthesia.  That's why they can keep the cost down.  Many plastic surgeons perform this type of procedure in their office.  Unfortunately, some plastic surgeons and media outlets are always trying to "outdo" their competitors but frequently are not offering anything new.  Hope this helps!

Dr. Singer

CoolSculpting for muffin tops

+1
CoolSculpting is the safe, non-invasive way to reduce fat in common trouble areas that tend to be diet and excercise resitant. Developed by Harvard scientists, the precisely controlled, FDA-cleared, patented procedure uses a cooling technology that targets subcutaneous fat cells by freezing them to the point of crystallization. Once crystallized, the cells are then eliminated from the body through the lymphatic system in a natural process. There is no damage to healthy tissue or skin cells. Also, because the procedure is non-invasive, there is no need for needles or anesthesia. Patients typically read, work on their laptops, listen to music, or relax during the procedure. Each session lasts one hour and therefore can easily be fit into a lunch break. After treatment, patients typically find it easy to return to everyday activities.
Most patients see a noticeable reduction of fat in the treatment area after one treatment although it make take more than one treatment to realize the full effects. Because the fat cells that are eliminated from CoolSculpting do not return, the results are lasting as long as a healthy lifestyle is maintained.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

TV promoted liposuction technique

+1

The Dr. Oz show has promoted various forms of liposuction but recently ran an episode of featuring Zeltiq which has trademarked the name "coolsculpting" which is a marketing term for cryolipolysis or, in other words, destruciton of fat using cold therapy.

Liposuction for muffin top

+1

Tumescent awake liposuction works very well for localized areas of fat accumulation. It is a relatively quick and safe procedure but there are risks and complications with any surgical procedure so be sure to address them with your surgeon in consultation.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Liposuction

+1

Treatment of the muffin top or overhanging tissue over  pants may be treated with liposuction but may be better off with being treated by an excision of skin during a tummy tuck.

The Dr. Oz Show Said They Had a New Cutting Edge Lipo for Muffin Top. $2500

+1

I did not see it as it was aired but on goggle Dr OZ show was a video. IT WAS JUST LIPOSUCTION! NOTHING NEW!!!! I too prefer local with IV sedation or face mask nitrous gas - for patient comfort. The fee is slightly on the low end the range in MIAMI is $2,000 to $4,500. From MIAMI Dr. Darryl J. Blinski, 305 598 0091

Muffin top procedure on Dr. Oz

+1

I happened to see that segment too. The "cutting edge" procedure for the muffin top is called liposuction. Since it is for a limited area, it takes about 30 min to do under IV sedation or just local anesthesia (for the patient's comfort I prefer some sedation. No magic, just hyped up liposuction.

George Marosan, MD
Bellevue Plastic Surgeon