Worried about Belly Button Stretched Down

Is my Dr. Making the Right Choice for Me? Mini Tummy Tuck Scheduled March 3rd! I am 32 years old and have had 3 children. I am 5'4 and weigh 115lbs. My dr. told me that the muscles above the navel are fine and he recommended I go with a mini tummy tuck instead of the full. while I like this idea because recovery is quicker, shorter scar, and no reconstructed navel...i worry that my belly button will be stretched down like some of the photos on here. do you think from my photos that he has made the right choice for me? he will do lipo and suture the lower muscles.

Great Mini tummy tuck candidates - few and far between

+2

As I have stated many times, there are very few great miniTT candidates out there.  Make sure that your doctor is a real plastic surgeon, not a cosmetic surgeon or some other type of surgeon pretending to be a plastic surgeon.  These other guys are out there doing mini's, because that's all they know how to do.  They tell you what you want to hear, hoping you will fall for it.  

If you are at all hesitant, you should get some other opinions or at least post photos.

Belly Button and Mini Tummy Tuck

+1

You may be able to mimic what your belly button will look like by pulling tightly on the skin that will be removed, but even this might not be a complete reflection.  Make your concerns clear to him.  Also check if he is planning to "float" or move the belly button down, which at times can make it look too low or odd.

Byron D. Poindexter, MD
Reston Plastic Surgeon

Who can say

+1

I have been in practice for nearly 20 years, solo.  I do tons of tummy tucks per year, in fact my favorite procedure.

In all that time, I have only done a handful of minis because so few are good candidates for the procedures.  The scar isn't really that much smaller, and I find that especially with three children, few women don't have the fascia above the navel affected- not to mention the skin and supporting structures.

Only exam can tell for sure, and you may be one of the few who are actually a good candidate.

best to you

Scott E. Kasden, MD

+1

?????? What posted photos?????? I do not find any. Sorry can not advise. From MIAMI DR. darryl J. Blinski

How To Miss out on a Flat Tummy and Narrow Waist by choosing the Wrong Tummy Tuck Operation

+1

Regarding: "Worried about Belly Button Stretched Down
Is my Dr. Making the Right Choice for Me? Mini Tummy Tuck Scheduled March 3rd! I am 32 years old and have had 3 children. I am 5'4 and weigh 115lbs. My dr. told me that the muscles above the navel are fine and he recommended I go with a mini tummy tuck instead of the full. while I like this idea because recovery is quicker, shorter scar, and no reconstructed navel...i worry that my belly button will be stretched down like some of the photos on here. do you think from my photos that he has made the right choice for me? he will do lipo and suture the lower muscles
."

Dear HappyMom,

Your photos never made it and without them all we can do is offer you an educated and experience-based guess.

I have examined thousands of tummies and performed hundreds of tummy tuck and I have RARELY encountered a mother of 3 who did not have a muscle separation. Think about it - your uterus went from the size of a lime to that of a summer watermelon three times. To reach full term, your six pack muscles HAD to separate to allow the forward growth of the pregnant uterus. How else could your abdomen accommodate such a huge mass without stopping your heart from beating, your lungs from expanding, your blood from flowing and your intestines from functioning? It is a physical impossibility.

Failing to correct the muscle separation at the time of a Tummy Tuck is snatching defeat out of the jaws of victory. It will not give you the narrow waist and flat tummy you deserve.

I would bet that you would do FAR better with a Full Tummy Tuck than with the procedure you are about to have.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Mini-tummy tucks may not be enough

+1

It is rare to see a great candidate for a mini-tummy tuck who, after pregnancies, has laxity limited to the area under the umbilicus.  I have performed them over the years, but most women require more muscle tightening and want more skin tightening than a mini-tummy tuck will accomplish.  Do not let a short scar tempt you into having an insufficient operation.

Bruce Genter, MD
Abington Plastic Surgeon

VIDEO (click here) for mini tummy tuck

+1

A mini tummy tuck is great for a c-section scar revision or true laxity limited to below the umbilicus. That is rarely the case and in most situations a full tummy tuck is a better choice.