Lipoma - Should I Get a Biopsy?

i have been to the doctor today about a lump which has been growing on my left hip/buttock, my doctor was sure it is a lipoma, i dont feel confident without getting tests done, should i get a second oppinion or an ultrasound or biopsy?

How to tell if your mass is a lipoma

+1

Lipomas are typically diagnosed on history and physical exam by your doctor. Ultrasound is not useful. The only definitive way to make the diagnosis is to remove the mass and send it to pathology where they examine the specimen. You stated you won't feel comfortable without further testing. If it's something you will worry about I suggest having it removed. It is possible for lipomas to increase in size, and if it's already bothering you, you might as well have it removed. Good luck!

Lipoma on hip

+1

Usually a good physician can clinically determine the nature of the growth. However , a small punch biopsy, not necessarily a total excision, can give the definitive answer.

Khaled El-Hoshy, MD
Detroit Dermatologic Surgeon

Diagnosis of lipoma?

+1

Lipomas are very common and it is rare that they are anything more than benign.  That being said, it's probably better to be safe than sorry and a pathologic diagnosis is often recommended.

Gregory A. Buford, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Lipoma Diagnosis

+1

Thanks for the question.

As my colleague, Dr. Rand indicated, most lipoma diagnoses are made by clinical examination and confirmed through tissue analysis by a pathologist. I do not necessarily see the need for another opinion or biopsy.

Glenn Vallecillos, MD, FACS

Glenn Vallecillos, MD

Lipoma removal

+1

Usually you can tell if it is a lipoma by exam but it should be removed and sent to pathology for microscopic analysis.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS