Would a Dr. Do Coolsculpting on Someone with an Umbilical Hernia? What Additional Risks Would I Face?

CoolSculpting Contraindications

+1

A hernia is a contraindication to CoolSculpting.  We would not perform CoolSculpting on a person with an umbilical hernia in my practice. 

Web reference: http://www.bluewaterspa.com/coolsculpting_faqs.html

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Don't treat the fat pouch with Zeltiq's CoolSculpting if a hernia is present in the fatty area

+1

Zeltiq's CoolSculpting doesn't involve merely freezing the fat, but it uses significant suction to bring the skin and fat pouch into the applicator's treatment area.  Therefore, the applicator can be placed in an adjoining region if the pressure there doesn't disturb the hernia.

The information provided in Dr. Shelton's answer is for educational purposes only and is not intended to constitute medical advice.  The information provided should not be relied upon as a substitute for consultations with a qualified health professional who may be familiar with your individual medical needs. If you are experiencing a medical emergency proceed to your nearest emergency room.

Web reference: http://www.thenyac.com/zeltiq/index.html

CoolSculpting treatment is not available or safe in area where a hernia is present

+1

Hello and thank you for asking this question. CoolSculpting is non-invasive technology and is an extremely safe procedure. Because CoolSculpting applicators involve significant vaccum suction, we will not treat over an area where a hernia is present, even if it has been repaired. Many patients who have hernias have CoolSculpting treatment in other areas of their body, so if you're interested in treatment for any other area of your body, CoolSculpting is still an option for you.

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Coolsculpting and Umbilical Hernia

+1

You can have Coolsculpting, but the area with the hernia would have to be avoided. 

Coolsculpting cannot be done around or over the hernia, but you could have your flanks or lower abdomen treated. I would recommend getting the hernia fixed if it is significant.

Richmond Plastic Surgeon

CoolSculpting and Umbilical hernia

+1

Coolsculpting is FDA approved for the abdomen and waistline. However, physician can use it off label for other areas as indicated. If you have an umbilical hernia and the area of interest (Waistline) is not close to the hernia, you can have coolsculpting. For abdominal area, I would recommend umbilical hernia repair prior to coolscupting.  The best way to see if you are a candidate for Coolsculpting, is to get a consultation. Many patients in our practice are very happy with their coolsculpting results.

Cooslculpting is a non-surgical alternative to liposuction. There is No cutting, No needles, No injections, No garments, No downtime, and No need for anesthesia. The other alternatives may reduce the appearance of fat but does not kill & eliminate the fat cells. Coolscultping and liposonix are the only available non-surgical alternative that actually kill fat cells. I prefer coolsculpting because there is no pain or need for pain meds.

Web reference: http://www.georgiaplastic.com/non-surgical-procedures-atlanta/coolsculpting/