Downtime for Punch Excision of Acne Scars?

How long is the usual downtime for punch excision of acne scars? What can be expected during the downtime/recovery period?

The downtime for punch excision for acne scars is about a week.

+1

The downtime for punch excision of acne scars is about 7 to 10 days. Sutures would be removed typically between 5 -7 days post treatment, and a dermabrasion may be planned later- if necessary at all.

India Dermatologist

Punch Excision for acne scar revision

+1

Acne scars that have a high depth to width ration can be improved with micro-technique acne scar revision including punch excision with or without suture. In most cases, reepithelialization occurs within 24 hours, but the sutures will remain on the skin for 5 to 7 days. I use a very fine suture that is barely noticeable in order to minimize downtime. I encourage patients to return to work following the procedure.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Virtually no downtime for punch excision

+1

Deep acne "pit" scars are sometimes addressed by punch excision. This is not very debilitating although I would probably keep you from immersion in water for a few days afterward.

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Punch excision downtime is approximately a week

+1

The downtime for Punch Excision of acne scars is approximately 1 week. Sutures are usually removed within 5-7 days, but there may be some residual bruising at the sites for a week or two.

Acne scar excision usually has 5 - 7 days downtime

+1

For patients who are just having several scars excised, there is 5 - 7 days with stitches, and after that there is essentially no downtime. We don't do punch excision, we actually do excision with a scalpel, so that we can make the resulting scar even smaller and orient it in proper direction. We also recommend dermabrasion in 6 - 8 weeks after excision to further blend in the scar, and that one has a little longer downtime, about a week or two.

Stella Desyatnikova, MD

Little Downtime for Acne Scars

+1

Excision and closure of acne scars tends to be the most common way to treat this problem. Simple excision and closure can be done in the office setting with minimal discomfort.

There is not significant down time as long as you don't mind being seen with the sutures. I usually leave the sutures in for about 5-7 days. The wound always looks worse (meaning red) at about 3-4 months time, and afterward begins to mature and lighten.

It isn't until one year's time that the scar has completely gone through the healing phase. It is only then that we can say, it is going to be the way it is.

Hope that helps you out.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Downtime for punch excision on acne scars

+1

Depending on the technique used this can vary tremendously.

Traditionally excision can be performed with or without sutures. If sutures are present they are removed at 4-7 days.

Others advocate a light dermabrasion session about 6-8 weeks later which may also requure a 5-7 day downtime.

I hope that helps!