PS chose 300cc-400cc range for my 32A 5'5" athletic frame. I loved to 300's but the nurse and my friend urged me to embrace cleavage and ultimately I caved to the "go big or go home" advocates. On day of surgery I went out of my comfort zone, outside PS recommendations and chose 450cc! Money aside, is it critical to wait 6mos or just prudent? Instead of enhancing my body I changed my shape. My PS wont touch me for 6mos., so should I find another PS to do redo sooner? Please advise.
Downsizing Sooner Rather Than Later? Need Second Opinion.
Doctor Answers 7
How soon to down size
downsizing is another surgery and is best done after most of the inflammation of the first surgery is gone, hence the 3-6 months waiting period everyone recommends.
if the size of the implants is bothering you significantly and you are sure they are too big for your frame, then a 3 month waiting period should be adequate before replacing them.
Downsizing Sooner Rather Than Later
Sorry for your distress regarding the size. It is not unusual for patients to question their size choice initially. However, before considering revision, there are two factors to consider. First, you should be healed from the surgery to ensure that you are in the best possible condition to have any revision. Second, you will need to have time to thoroughly consider your options. Wait until 3 months to allow your emotions and healing to progress to a sufficient point to make an informed decision that will best satisfy your long term needs.
Downsizing Breast Implants Timing?
I'm sorry to hear about the stressful experience you have had after breast augmentation surgery. You should be aware however that it is not unusual for patients to feel that they are too small or too big during the first few weeks after surgery.
Generally speaking, I would suggest you wait at least 3 months before you make any decisions regarding revisionary surgery. This waiting time will allow you to (potentially) physically and psychologically adapt to the new body image. You may find that you are pleased with results of surgery at that time.
It is not critical to wait 6 months before undergoing revision surgery. it is critical however that you consider your decisions carefully and make sure you're making them based on the long-term goals not short-term emotional “swings”.
You might also like...
Most plastic surgeons advise waiting about that period of time before a revision. One reason is to allow things to fully heal internally. The other and more practical reason is to allow you time to fully consider what it is that you wish to do and be comfortable with the size selection if you do decide to,change. There is no need to rush into having the surgery done any sooner.
Early change of implant sizes
This is a hard problem and you must make several choices. If you trust your plastic surgeons opinion then give it six months and see if you change your mind. If you are extremely uncomfortable then the implant could be replaced as early as 3 months. If necessary it could be done under local anesthesia.
Redo ahead of 6 months
I agree with Dr. Chappell. I have certainly seen patients get more comfortable with implant sizes over time, but if you are flat-out uncomfortable in your body, then a 6 month waiting period is by no means mandatory. Wait at least 4-6 weeks after surgery for your emotions to settle a bit and then if you are certain you wish to downsize and are continuously distracted by your own body, then it's fine to discuss your desires with your surgeon. Hopefully you will be on the same page, but if not then it's not unreasonable to discuss your situation with another qualified provider as well. Good luck!
Second opinion about reducing breast implant size after breast augmentation
Six months is a prudent recommendation. After that time ALL the swelling will be gone, the implants will have completely "settled" and you will have had time to "live with them" and see if you don't enjoy your new size. That said, I would say if you clearly are way too big going back in after 3 months is not at all unreasonable. I have taken patients back as early as 6 weeks if they were too small (thankfully size issues are rare, but they do happen), so I see no reason you would have to wait 6 months. It is surgeon preference, but again, I do think your PS is being prudent and reasonable. Best of luck to you.