I just had a BA 4 weeks ago and I know I am only a few weeks PO but I have already made the decisin of going smaller. I got 325cc Moderate Profile 13.9dia/3.0proj (which I think it is too wide for me)and I am considering to replace it w/250cc Moderate Profile Plus 11.3dia/3.4proj. How soon can I have the surgery? I want to avoid stretching the skin. With 250cc would my nipples look weird pointing up because of the pocket? Another option is 275cc 11.7dia/3.proj. I am 5.4', 117pounds 30.7" ribcage
Is it Possible to Downsize from 325cc to 250cc Without Adjusting the Pocket?
Doctor Answers (11)
Yes, you need to give the tissues time to recover but it doesn't avoid "stretching the skin". Think of it as putting a foot that is too big into a shoe and forcing it to accommodate. Breast tissue does this fairly well for forward projection but not well for horizontal overstretch and normal capsule mechanics. It appears that the implants put in were too wide for your breast width regardless of the volume and it is difficult to get the capsule to shrink in width. The proper way to fit the implant is to match the width of the implant to the width of the breast and then choose a forward profile based on the degree of forward volume desired but you can't go back without taking out the implants and starting over. In order to downsize at this point it would be better to choose an implant that is the same or only slightly less wide and use a lower profile. In saline-filled implants this would be from a medium to a low profile exchange. In gel-filled implants the terminology is more confusing but you would need a profile less than what you have. Simply lowering the volume of the implant doesn't always work in a capsule space that is too big for the smaller implant.
I would wait a little longer.
Honestly, I would wait a little longer since you still have some swelling following your surgery. If you truly want to have your implants replaced for smaller implants any of the options that you mentioned would work. You loose nothing by waiting a little longer though.
All the best,
Wait several months before deciding on breast implant size change
It appears that there is some asymmetry of your rib cage so sizing is particularly challenging. In any case, 4 weeks is not the end point of your healing process both physically and mentally. I would recommend waiting at least 6 months.
You might also like...
Revision of breast implants
Usuaully patients wait 3-4 months minimum to exchange implants. Remember that right now you have a lot of swelling and this should only get better with time.
Timing Of Breast Implant Size Change
The decision to change breast implant size should wait a minimum of three months after surgery to allow the breast mounds to settle and relax. At that point, you can make that implant downsizing change by doing a simple implant exchange without any pocket adjustment. The change from 325 to 250cc implants is an approximate 20% change in implant size. Whether that is worth it is best determined by more time and both a physical and mental adjustment to your new breast changes.
Your implant look much bigger than 325cc
You need to wait at least 3 months before any revision. Your implants seem bigger than 325 cc and this can be due to excessive swelling,hematoma,too high implants or overfilled implants if you have saline implants.
Since you are only 4 weeks out from surgery I would recommend you wait until you are at least 3-4 months out from surgery. Then if you are still unhappy with your outcome consider replacing the implants. In this type of situation I would not normally do any thing to the pocket. The best thing for you to do right now is to be patient.
Give your body some time to heal and for the implants to drop. Don't make any rash decisions. If you want to downsize, do so after 6 months. Usually we do not have to touch the pocket.
This is a completely personal decision but I would wait three months for the swelling to go down. You are still quite swollen in the upper poles of the breasts and it is possible that, when the swelling resolves, you may not be as dissatisfied with the size of the breasts. The difference between the two implants you mention is minimal. It's my understanding that, in Florida, most women go bigger than up here in NY but, in the end, you have do make a decision that you're comfortable living with. Best of luck!
Breast Implant Revision Sizing
Thank you for your question.
Generally, I would not advise revisionary surgery for at least 3 months after surgery. This period of time is the minimal required to physically and psychologically "accept" the change you have undergone. Based on your pictures, I see no reason why your skin will not "bounce back" after re-augmentation with smaller implants.
Communicating with your surgeon will be critical in achieving your goals. In my practice, I use "goal pictures" to help with this communication since talking about cup size or breast implant size does not necessarily translate into a specific look/ outcome.
Again, I would suggest waiting several months before you make a final decision regarding your breast augmentation outcome and the need for revisionary surgery. Don't be surprised if you are happier 3 months from now than you are today.
I hope this helps.