Downsizing Chin Implant?

Hi, I had a medium Flowers Mandibular Glove chin implant (8mm), and it´s quite big for my face, so I´m going to replace it with a smaller one. I´m in a huge doubt because I don´t know if I should go for size small (6mm) or size extra small (5mm). Besides my PS told me he will make another pocket, so I don´t know if the pocket I have right now, once he remove the implant and make a new one, will give me adittional projection... Please help!!! I´m suffering a lot!!!

Changing chin implant sizes.

+1

Replacing a chin implant with another size is similar to the original implant procedure. The Previous pocket has no bearing on the projection of the implant. If a smaller implant is being used it will fit into the existing pocket. Be cautious about downsizing too much. The larger 8mm implant will have stretched your tissues to a certain degree and removing without replacing the implant can result in some laxity of the skin.  Good luck with your decision.

Vancouver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Changing Chin Implant Sizes - Recommendations

+1

If you are handy with Photo Workshop software you can adjust your chin profile appearance until you have a photo to show your plastic surgeon. Many plastic surgeons also have this software in their offices. We have found this very helpful for our patients with similar concerns. 

As a surgeon I would order different size implants and use  sizers (temporary) one at surgery to see which implant size is best for you. This is more accurate than picking a single option before hand.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Chin implant

+1

If your surgeon uses computer imaging software, it can allow him/her to morph your photo and give you an idea of how the final result may appear depending on which size implant you choose. The pocket will not influence your projection. Prior to having any surgery, it is important to establish good communication with your surgeon and express all of your concerns so you are happy with the end result. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck with your procedure.

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Downsizing chin implant

+1

The pocket that is created for a chin implant does not cause any projection.  Only the implant that is placed will cause the projection.  You should discuss your concerns with your surgeon and then you will be able to come to a decision as to the size you would like.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon