Downsizing Chin Implant - Can Revision Be Done After 6 Wks?

I had an XL chin implant 6 wks ago. As swelling subsides, it's clearly too big for my liking. I understand that it takes at 3-6mths for swelling to fully subside and see the final result. But if I'm determined to downsize the implant, should I wait till the pocket is fully formed in 3 mths? Will the smaller implant 'swim' inside enlarged pocket if revision is done after 3 mths? Is it better to perform the revision now, so the pocket can form according to the size/shape of the smaller implant?

Chin Implant, Chin Augmentation.

The chin implant doesn't appear to big from the profile views showing before and after.  In my new book on Facial Aesthetics, I write that looking at the face on profile: draw an imaginary vertical line down from the lower lip and a man's chin to hit or slightly extend beyond that imaginary line.  A woman's chin should be slightly behind by ~ 1/4 inch. 

Having said all that, I have performed Chin Augmentation for almost 25 years and you may just not like the chin implant...which is your right as a patient.  I also can't see the front view, so can't comment nor do I know if an anatomical chin or a sqaured version was used.  Squared Chin Implants often make the chin appear to masculine, IMHO.

In either case, if it's a silastic chin implant, hopefully placed through an incision under your chin...the implant can easilly be removed at anytime and if done within the first 3-6 moths should not cause the tissues, of your chin, to permamnently stretch.

Downsizing implant

Don't see the problem. Looking at your profile pics your implant is barely large enough, not too large. I would not down size but if you do the best is to replace the implant at the same time as removal and place a few sutures to the periostium to keep it in place for 4-5 days after which the pocket will begin to tighten down.

Downsizing chin implants.

I would advise waiting a minimum of 3 months because you may very well have swelling that is obscurring the final results.. Downsizing can be done at any time and if you already have a pre-exitsing intra-oral approach, I would use this incision.

Reducing the size of Chin Implant--Early Revision

It is probably best to downsize the implant early.

This is only if you are very sure about the size.

You are swollen and it will dectease in size over the next 3-4 months.

It is possible that you will think it is perfect size after resolution of swelling.

Dr. S.

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Downsizing chin implants

I agree with the others that an early revision is indicated in this instance to let the pocket shrink down.  It is fully formed at around 8 to 12 weeks so you need to move on this a bit.

You seemed very confused. Maybe removal completely is also an option for you. Please discuss with your chosen surgeon in detail. Yes at 3 months you can downsize but I fear you still may not be happy. From MIAMI Dr. Darryl j. Blinski

Chin Implant

The earlier you do the revision the better ...................................................................

Downsize your chin implant as soon after surgery as possible.

If you are unhappy about the size of your chin implant, you should change to a smaller size ASAP so a overly large pocket is not formed. Swelling should be decreased enough by 3 months to know what the implant does. You may need to have a screw placed to anchor the new implant in the right place.

G. Gregory Gallico III, MD

Concerns about chin implant being too large

Six weeks is often too early following a chin augmentation with an implant to determine that it was too big for you. It may take at least 3 - 4 months to have a much better idea. If at that point it still seems way too large then placement of a smaller one can be performed.

Discuss your concerns with your surgeon. If you still are not sure or don't feel entirely convinced, obtain a second opinion.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD