Downsizing Chin Implant - Can Revision Be Done After 6 Wks?

I had an XL chin implant 6 wks ago. As swelling subsides, it's clearly too big for my liking. I understand that it takes at 3-6mths for swelling to fully subside and see the final result. But if I'm determined to downsize the implant, should I wait till the pocket is fully formed in 3 mths? Will the smaller implant 'swim' inside enlarged pocket if revision is done after 3 mths? Is it better to perform the revision now, so the pocket can form according to the size/shape of the smaller implant?

Chin Implant, Chin Augmentation.

+3

The chin implant doesn't appear to big from the profile views showing before and after.  In my new book on Facial Aesthetics, I write that looking at the face on profile: draw an imaginary vertical line down from the lower lip and a man's chin to hit or slightly extend beyond that imaginary line.  A woman's chin should be slightly behind by ~ 1/4 inch. 

Having said all that, I have performed Chin Augmentation for almost 25 years and you may just not like the chin implant...which is your right as a patient.  I also can't see the front view, so can't comment nor do I know if an anatomical chin or a sqaured version was used.  Squared Chin Implants often make the chin appear to masculine, IMHO.

In either case, if it's a silastic chin implant, hopefully placed through an incision under your chin...the implant can easilly be removed at anytime and if done within the first 3-6 moths should not cause the tissues, of your chin, to permamnently stretch.

Downsizing implant

+2

Don't see the problem. Looking at your profile pics your implant is barely large enough, not too large. I would not down size but if you do the best is to replace the implant at the same time as removal and place a few sutures to the periostium to keep it in place for 4-5 days after which the pocket will begin to tighten down.

Richard Galitz, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Downsizing chin implants.

+2

I would advise waiting a minimum of 3 months because you may very well have swelling that is obscurring the final results.. Downsizing can be done at any time and if you already have a pre-exitsing intra-oral approach, I would use this incision.

Reducing the size of Chin Implant--Early Revision

+2

It is probably best to downsize the implant early.

This is only if you are very sure about the size.

You are swollen and it will dectease in size over the next 3-4 months.

It is possible that you will think it is perfect size after resolution of swelling.

Dr. S.

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Downsizing chin implants

+2

I agree with the others that an early revision is indicated in this instance to let the pocket shrink down.  It is fully formed at around 8 to 12 weeks so you need to move on this a bit.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

+2

You seemed very confused. Maybe removal completely is also an option for you. Please discuss with your chosen surgeon in detail. Yes at 3 months you can downsize but I fear you still may not be happy. From MIAMI Dr. Darryl j. Blinski

Chin Implant

+2

The earlier you do the revision the better ...................................................................

Downsize your chin implant as soon after surgery as possible.

+2

If you are unhappy about the size of your chin implant, you should change to a smaller size ASAP so a overly large pocket is not formed. Swelling should be decreased enough by 3 months to know what the implant does. You may need to have a screw placed to anchor the new implant in the right place.

G. Gregory Gallico III, MD

Concerns about chin implant being too large

+1

Six weeks is often too early following a chin augmentation with an implant to determine that it was too big for you. It may take at least 3 - 4 months to have a much better idea. If at that point it still seems way too large then placement of a smaller one can be performed.

Discuss your concerns with your surgeon. If you still are not sure or don't feel entirely convinced, obtain a second opinion.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD