Downsizing Breast Implant- How Soon After Initial Surgery? Under Local?

I had augmentation w/Benelli lift, under muscle, to correct mildly tuberous breasts and add some fullness (now 3wks post op). I am very unhappy with the size of 475cc. I am 23 years old, 135lbs, 5'4''. Pre-op I was a deflated A, now my skin is very tight and stretching to accommodate these implants. This situation is very upsetting to me. I just cant live with these! How soon can I have my implants downsized (to around 300cc?)? Will I need another lift? Can this be done under local? Recovery?

Breast Revision

+1

A lift may be done, but I recommend you have it done in a certified surgery center.  Wait for 6 month before considering a revision, then talk with your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon about optionos.

Danville Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant revision/sizing

+1

It would be in your best interest to wait several more months before making a final judgment about your end results and for the potential need for further surgery.

If revisionary surgery is decided upon, it will be very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.
I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the press implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible.
By the way, the most common regret after this operation, is “I wish I was bigger”.

Downsizing Breast Implants

+1

It is best to wait about three months after your initial procedure before considering any type of breast revision surgery.  This allows for the swelling to subside and the breasts to settle.  The surgeon can then accurately assess the breast size and the surgery will also be safer to perform because less postoperative inflammation will be present.  

I always recommend the use of general anesthesia or at least a twilight sedation since the revision surgery may be more difficult for the surgeon and therefore more uncomfortable for you.  If you are not totally relaxed during the procedure this may impact the final result.

Recovery after the surgery will similar to the first operation.  If you had a breast lift during the first procedure, downsizing may effect the nipple position but does not necessarily mean that you many need another lift.  

Adam Hamawy, MD
Princeton Plastic Surgeon