Downsizing 170cc From Current Modplus Cohesive Gel Implants. Nice Results Without a Lift Possible?

Hi I plan on downsizing 170cc from my current modplus cohesive gel implants, I'm switching over to a ultra high profile cohesive gel implant. Is it possible for me to still get a nice result without having to get a lift? Also, if I downsize 170cc will this be a be enough cc amount to bring me down a cup size smaller?

Downsizing without a Breast Lift.

+3

Dear Violet, you have asked a very simple question which unfortunately requires many variables to correctly answer.  Other helpful information would include your current implant size, the quality of your breast tissue and skin, whether your breasts have been stretched by pregnancy and breastfeeding, and the current shape and configuration of your breasts.

If you have ideally shaped breasts, have not had kids, and have good  young skin, then a downsizing of your implants is completely possible without an associated breast lift.  However, if any of the above factors is not ideal, then downsizing your implants may give you a less perky breast than you currently have.  In such a case, a breast lift can nicely restore a youthful and shapely breast.

Mini Ultimate Breast Lift

+2

Unfortunately, you have not stated your bra size.  If you are a 32 or 34, each 100 cc of implant will correspond to 1 cup size change.  If you are a 36 or 38, each 200 cc of implant will correspond to 1 cup size change.  Assuming you are a 36 or 38, then you would go down 1 cup size with 170 cc reduction.  If you implants are underneath the muscle, then the muscle will determine the projection more than the type of implant.  Ultra high profile implants will make no difference.  You also express concern about a lift and want to avoid it.  Many people avoid lifts because of the unsightly vertical scar used in the lollipop lift or worse the boat anchor incision of the Wise pattern.  There is a new lift technique with incisions only around the areola and implants can be exchanged at the same time.  The advantage of this is that implants can be placed high, your breast tissue will be elevated creating upper pole fullness and increased cleavage.  Breast Augmentation with Mini Ultimate Breast Lift may be the ideal procedure for you.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Downsizing implant sizes

+2

I agree with other responses that not much can be said specifically without more information, pictures, measurements, and an exam. 

There are a few things that can be said in general.

It is not the case that one can just pick an implant size and make it work. Fitting implants to the breast is a lot like fitting a body into a dress size or a foot into a shoe. For established implants, a replacement needs to be about the same diameter as what they were replacing as the capsule space will not shrink down reliably and it would be like putting too small a foot into too large a shoe. The forward volume (profile) can be reduced to a lower profile or the lowest profile available and the tissues will accommodate this. If the existing implant is already the lowest forward profile then it's not reasonable to scale it down.

Breast implants do not actually lift the breast and removing them or downsizing them does not actually make the breast sag. Implants are a pillow of volume and the lift or sag effect is an illusion of volume/fill. In other words, the nipple-areola position will not actually change relative to the chest wall with an implant change. 

Implant volumes are all relative to the overall volume of the breast (which is not easily or routinely measured) and relative to the chest size. Women understand this relative to dress or bra sizes but it's often forgotten when it comes to implant volumes in cc's. A 32-B bra is not the same cup volume as a 36-B bra and 170cc would have a big effect on some breasts and not so much on others. Implants are best "fitted" by dimensions of the diameter and height and the effect of the forward volume (profile) for what implants are available for a given width. 

Scott L. Replogle, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Nice Results Without a Lift Possible?

+2

I don't feel that there is enough info here to give a useful answer.  A photo would help, as would the knowledge of what size your current implants are, and how long they have been in, and whether your current areolar position is "normal".  A small size change is less likely to result in a skin excess than would be a large size change, and that skin excess is often the cause for needing a breast lift. 

Please consider adding some photos, and filling in the missing info. Thanks and best wishes. 

Breast implant exchange

+2

Without a proper evaluation it is impossible to say whether or not an implant exchange with these implants will be good.

Will downsizing 175cc require a breast lift?

+2

Without a picture or exam it is hard to answer this question.  Here are some general guidelines.  If your breasts are already sitting a little low then the downsizing may very well tip the balance toward needing a breast lift in order to maintain a nice breast shape.  Also if the skin of your breasts seem loose or the breast tissue feels stretched out, a lift will probably be necessary.  The effect of a 175 cc downsizing depends very much on the tone and quality of your breast structure, as well as the plane of the implant (submuscular or subglandular).  A highly experienced plastic surgeon should be able to help you evaluate your options

John Q. Cook, MD

Downsizing implants

+2

This is one of those situations that require an examination. Dropping 170cc will be close to a full cup size. But it also depends on where you are starting. In other words, dropping 170cc from 500cc is going to be different than starting at 300cc. Also, something to keep in mind, especially if you are going to a high profile implant (more narrow) and drop down in size, the pocket will have to be narrowed, especially laterally. Otherwise the new implant is going to have a tendency to drift too far to the side.

Ronald Schuster, MD

Hello

+2

Without an exam or picture it’s hard to say what kind of results you are looking to get. In our practice well tell our patient’s that 225 cc equal about one cup size so if you’re thinking on downsizing 170cc doesn’t sound like it would be enough to change you a full cup. You should talk to your PS and tell them what you are really looking to get and kind of results you are expecting.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS

Downsizing Breast Implants without Breast Lifting?

+2

Unfortunately, it is not possible to give you any type of meaningful device without direct examination and a full communication of your goals. Whether or not a breast lift will be necessary will depend on the amount  and quality of overlying breast skin and skin elasticity.

Also, there is no accurate way to predict exactly what cup size change will result from downsizing 170 mL with the breast implants.

I would suggest that you communicate your goals clearly with your plastic surgeon. In my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures as opposed to a discussion of cup size ( given the cup sizes will vary from one bra manufacturer to another).  This communication will be critical in helping your plastic surgeon decide what  type of breast  surgery and/or implant profile/size will best help achieve your goals.

Downsizing and diameter of the implant

+2

Every implant has a given diameter and amount of projection based on its volume and shape.  A moderate plus implant is a wider implant than an ultra high profile implant.  If you are going down 170cc you are going to be switching to a significantly more narrow implant. 

Remember that the diameter of a circle is the width and the height.  The projection is the amount of distance the implant sticks off your body, not how high it sits on your chest.  

Speak to your surgeon about what implications having a more narrow implant on your frame are going to have.  Better yet, ask him to see two similarly sized implants so you can see for yourself what you are switching too.

Many times patients have confusion about what the differences in implant profiles mean.  If you pick the wrong profile implant (and thus the wrong diameter for your breast and chest width) you are likely asking for a poor result.  

Your question asks if you would need a lift with this change?  It is impossible without a consultation for a plastic surgeon on the internet to give you this answer.  Speak to your surgeon in detail about questions like this.

Good luck!

Evan Sorokin, MD
Cherry Hill Plastic Surgeon