Downsize in a Few Days. What Can I Expect?

Hello I was wondering if you Dr's can tell me if I will see a smaller look downsizing my implants. I have mentor 500 mod plus overfilled 600 saline diameter is 13.2 projection is 5.9 Bra size is 32DD and Im trying to achieve a much smaller modest look. Im scheduled for a revision to downsize to the new sientra gel with a breast lift anchor, the new implant will be the sientra smooth round either 380 cc 12.8 4.1 or 350 cc 12.5 3.9 or even 320 12.3 proj 3.7. Im hoping to be a C thanks...

Downsizing implants

+1

Downsizing by a few hundred cc's may drop your cup size by  one or two.  Best to be examined in person.

Downsizing in a few days...

+1

This is a good question but it is hard to answer via this forum.  In GENERAL, it's about 150-200 cc per bra cup size, but it is less than that for smaller women, more for larger women, and less at the lower end of the scale (from a AAA to a AA) than for larger cup sizes (from a D to a DD).  So there is a lot to consider.  Remember, too, that if you are having a lift, particularly an anchor-shape, then there is a reduction in total volume from that standpoint, too.  It is, of course, a reduction in the total volume of the breast - whether skin, breast tissue, or implant - that determines ultimate breast and bra size.

I  hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. e

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Downsizing issues

+1

I haven't investigated the projections of the Sientra gels compared to saline-filled implants but in general, you don't want to reduce from the diameter of the existing implant but can decrease the forward projection from a Moderate Plus saline (Mentor) to a low profile saline (Allergan) of the same width and drop between a half and one cup sizes. The lowest profile gels in Mentor or Allergan would also achieve this. The situation is complicated because your existing implants are overfilled which adds to their projection and decreases the width. Judgment that wasn't used in overfilling the implant is needed now.

Putting a new implant in that is narrower than the existing one is like putting a foot that is too narrow in too wide a shoe. The forward volume decrease will accommodate though. 

Scott L. Replogle, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Downsizing Implants and What Size to Expect

+1

This is always a difficult question to answer, but you will decrease in size from one to two cup sizes.   The 320 cc may be a better choice to get you to a C.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Achieving Desired Results with Downsizing of Breast Implants?

+1

Based on your description of the planned procedure, you will certainly end up with smaller breasts. Whether or not the   breast size will be to your liking  cannot be determined online.

I would suggest, given that you obviously have concerns, that you spend additional time with your plastic surgeon prior to proceeding with surgery. Communicate goals clearly prior to surgery;  to not use cup sizes as a reference.  As you know, cup  sizes can vary from one bra manufacturer to another;  therefore communicating with the use of cup size terms can be a potential source of miscommunication/dissatisfaction.

Again preoperative communication will be key.  In my practice, I find the use of goal pictures helpful during this communication process.

What Can I Expect?

+1

Depending upon the size you choose, you should expect about 1-2 cup size decrease in size, and that should be noticeable. SInce your implants are saline, you might ask your surgeon about doing a partial deflation under sterile conditions the day of surgery, to give you some idea of the size at 380 and 320 cc.

All the best.