Reduction in Breast Implant and Areola Size

I have 450ccs on both breast under muscle, crease. Originally I wanted aerola incision & reduction ( and C cup)but doc said aerola would like fine after implant. I still dont agree.

If I reduce to 350ccs will I acheive my Ccup & will I need a lift? Full lift is out of the question...I still want aerola smaller, what is that procedure like?

will all aerola have to be removed & resized or just a portion? I've had 2 babies & am now pregnant again...not planned but still blessed. :)

+3

Dear 7000xo,

Your breasts may change following your current pregnancy. I would revisit your concerns and treatment options with an experienced surgeon six to twelve months after you finish breast feeding.

Warmest wishes,

Larry Fan, MD

Areola reduction possible

+2

I agree that areola reduction is reasonable and is best done after your pregnancy.  Depending on the laxity of your skin and your breast size, reducing the implant size may be necessary.   When you consult with a board certified plastic surgeon, discuss the use of non-absorbable sutures to maintain the size of the areola.  Even after areola reduction, the areola can stretch out again.  Non-absorbable sutures can help prevent this.  I also use the Quill sutures to close the incision which gives a very fine scar.  Good luck.

Tracy M. Pfeifer, MD, MS

Tracy Pfeifer, MD

Revision would work

+2

I think your request for an areola reduction is reasonable.  This is done by removing some skin from your areola and suturing it closed.  The implant cc's can be reduced by replacing your implant with a new one through the same incision.  It is hard to determine bra size due to bra makers sizing so differently and bra sizes being based on chest width and breast size.  Good luck!

Bivik Rajnikant Shah, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Areolar Reduction

+2

Since you are pregnant, you really need to wait until after the post partum period to see how your breast look.  Hormone changes with pregnancy can have effects on the breasts so any decisions about surgery should not be made now.  Based on your pictures, it looks like you would benefit from an areolar reduction, mastopexy and implant exchange.  I know you do not want a lift, but you will be sacrificing results in order to minimize your incisions.  So, please think through all your options and your goals.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

Areolar reduction and implant exhchange

+2

Dear 7000,

First and foremost you need to complete your pregnancy and post partum course, with or without breast feeding until you are no longer lactating.  Your breasts will likely undergo changes in size and skin quality during this time.  The process may 6 months if you are not breast feeding and longer obviously if you are.  There is a chance that you may indeed need a formal breast lift afterward.  In which case, your areolar would be reduced along with the lift.  Good luck!

Kenneth R. Francis, MD

Implant reduction and areola lift

+2

You certainly can have an areola reduction and a small lift at the same time with a decrease in the implant volume.

Decreasing breast implant and areolar size

+2

You will probably experience some change in breast appearance following your current pregnancy.  Your best option would be to wait until your breasts stabilize following your pregnancy, and you are no longer producing milk.  Consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon at that time will allow for a complete evaluation and discussion of appropriate options to achieve your goal.

Good luck.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board-certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Craig S. Rock, MD

Volume reduction and desire for smaller areola

+2

Once you have had your baby and your breasts has stabilized in size and shape, a decision can be made about the best approach to achieve your goal. I agree that in order to downsize by approximately 100cc you would require a better lift than a peri-areolar approach can provide you.

I wish you well.

Dr Edwards

Note: Dr. Edwards cannot give advice about specific medical problems nor should answers provided by Dr. Edwards be substituted for a complete medical history, work-up and an in-personal medical/surgical consultation.

Michael C. Edwards, MD, FACS

Areolar reduction

+2

Reducing the areolar through a peri-areolar lift does not last and can cause distortion of the areolar, widening of the scar, flattening of the cone of the breast, and eventually, enlargement ofthe areolar. A lollipop type scar lift is the only way the areolar can be precisely and permanently reduced in size. 

Robin T.W., Yuaqn, M.D.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

Breast Augmentation Revision?

+1

You bring up several different issues that need to be addressed by a well experienced plastic surgeon in person. This consultation should take place at least 3 months after you have stopped breast-feeding and when you reach a long-term stable weight.

Be careful that you undergo the appropriate/indicated procedure;  for example, if you undergo a “limited” mastopexy when a full mastopexy is indicated you will be disappointed with the end results of surgery.

Good luck with your pregnancy and her eventual breast surgery.